Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Gameplay - Strategy and management control
Gameplay - Strategy and management control
ozmonatovDate: Thursday, 04.08.2011, 21:17 | Message # 1
Group: Newbies
Has there been any thoughts going towards any kind of strategic gameplay alongside manual exploration? Such as managing colonisation of other worlds via technological, economical and logistical functions, and for making profit in handling trade, mining and construction among settlements in the inner solar systems?

The engine seems like a perfect candidate for it, and with a somewhat realistic near-future setting with a colonized inner solar system full of smaller and bigger institutions, and companies set on colonizing, and exploring etc. I can see many enjoyable scenarios coming out of this.
SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 05.08.2011, 01:16 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation

Making a game about trading and war is not my point of interest. I want to make a game with realistic future setting, where we have technologies capable of atomic construction of every thing, with unlimited energy that allows for the synthesis of everything we need from resources, and to have realistic space flight physics. So those two ideas alone eliminate the need for trading and even money itself. The last one also eliminates war in space, or makes it nearly impossible to fight due to huge restrictions in a spaceship's mass, vulnerability, and the impossibility of being visible in space because of its immensity. So the main gameplay action would be research. Colonization is a possible thing, if I implement terraforming into game engine. When building a new colony, gameplay will have to deal with a few things that could be called "trading," I.e. delivery of cargo from other world, or infrastructure deployment, etc.

NeonDate: Friday, 02.09.2011, 02:01 | Message # 3
Group: SE team
But don't you see, Vova, if you automate everything there's nothing left for the player to do? Don't you see that?
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Gameplay - Strategy and management control
Page 1 of 11