Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Altair
Altair
TychoDate: Friday, 03.08.2012, 14:06 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Denmark
Hi guys,
So i'm quit new here. Just stumbled upon SE yesterday and iv'e been spending way too much time inside this magnificent piece of programming. Nothing but love and admiration for the work being but into this, and i'm looking forward to follow its evolution.

I dropped by the star of Altair today and was just wondering if the creator(s) are aware of the fact it's supposed to be flattened at the poles due to rapid rotation. (Altair) SE renders it as spherical.

Any thoughts?

apenpaapDate: Friday, 03.08.2012, 14:33 | Message # 2
World Builder
Group: Users
Antarctica
Flattened objects are rather glitchy at the moment; have a look at Jupiter, Ceres, or especially Haumea to see the effect. My guess is that this is why A class stars, which I believe are indeed often rotating very fast, are rendered spherical.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 03.08.2012, 16:26 | Message # 3
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Yes, as apenpaap says, the current engine is glitchy when using cube map textures (which all procedural worlds use) with oblate objects. Oblate objects with a standard cylindrical projection texture work fine, but that incurs many limitations.
No doubt this will be addressed in a future version.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Altair
Page 1 of 11
Search: