[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 212»
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Brown dwarf with life
Brown dwarf with life
KinematicDate: Tuesday, 17.07.2012, 20:16 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
I found a brown dwarf with life in our galaxy, but I wanted to know if its a glitch? Also I'm not sure if I'm in the right section, but a mod could probably move it.

The planet is RS 8403-114-8-1724324-819 B1 (SpaceEngine 0.96)

KvikiDate: Tuesday, 17.07.2012, 20:27 | Message # 2
Explorer
Group: SE team
Croatia
Aw man. You got me hyped there for a second! sad
I thought it was the gas giant itself that had life. That would've been awesome.
The planet with life is just a moon of the brown dwarf, no bugs or glitches there.

Edited by Kviki - Tuesday, 17.07.2012, 20:27

apenpaapDate: Tuesday, 17.07.2012, 20:50 | Message # 3
World Builder
Group: Users
Antarctica
It's not a glitch, but it is a cool find. Brown dwarfs, particularly young ones, radiate their heat in infrared, and so warm up planets close to them. This terra is only 2 million km away, and its strong greenhouse effect helps a lot in making it suitable for life.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

BlackArkDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 00:29 | Message # 4
Space Pilot
United States
well life on the planet that is orbiting the brown dwarf could have a low possitbly but it and happen .

Antza2Date: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 12:06 | Message # 5
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Kinda makes you wonder what kind of life would evolve on a planet that looks like this biggrin
Attachments: 9050536.jpg(64Kb)

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

TalismanDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 17:59 | Message # 6
Pioneer
United States
Quote (Antza2)
Kinda makes you wonder what kind of life would evolve on a planet that looks like this

One thing is for sure.

It would be scary. cool

anonymousgamerDate: Friday, 20.07.2012, 18:18 | Message # 7
World Builder
United States
Quote (Talisman)
It would be scary.

Not to the life that lives and evolves there. They would be freaked out if the planet has a light source, because they live in darkness. Actually, life there might not be light sensitive.

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

BaleurDate: Sunday, 21.10.2012, 04:14 | Message # 8
Observer
Sweden
Quote (anonymousgamer)
Not to the life that lives and evolves there. They would be freaked out if the planet has a light source, because they live in darkness.

Well considering that all of us here on the forums are human beings evolved on Earth, it's a safe assumption to say that it would be scary, since we can only discuss this from our own human perspective. Don't you agree? happy

anonymousgamerDate: Sunday, 21.10.2012, 04:46 | Message # 9
World Builder
United States
Quote (Baleur)
since we can only discuss this from our own human perspective

From a human perspective, yes. From an alien perspective OMG ITS SO BRIGHT AHHH I'M BLIND WHAT IS THIS

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

apenpaapDate: Sunday, 21.10.2012, 11:12 | Message # 10
World Builder
Antarctica
I think life on that planet would probably be able to see; they'd just see in the InfraRed around the wavelength where their "sun" maximally radiates, much like we see around green, where our Sun has his radiation peak.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 21.10.2012, 16:32 | Message # 11
Galaxy Architect
United States
Quote (apenpaap)
It's not a glitch, but it is a cool find. Brown dwarfs, particularly young ones, radiate their heat in infrared, and so warm up planets close to them. This terra is only 2 million km away, and its strong greenhouse effect helps a lot in making it suitable for life.

That actually makes me wonder, would the greenhouse effect work if the incoming radiation is thermal? GH on earth works because the atmosphere is transparent to visible light, but optically thick in the infrared. So the incoming visible light reaches and heats the ground, but then the outgoing thermal radiation is partially blocked.

I imagine on a world orbiting a brown dwarf that a GH atmosphere with CO2/H20 etc would actually have a cooler surface than it would otherwise, because the incoming thermal radiation would have a more difficult time reaching the ground. I guess it depends on the exact spectrum -- maybe it works if the incoming light peaks in the short infrared, and the atmosphere blocks the longer infrared.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 21.10.2012, 17:11 | Message # 12
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Watsisname)
maybe it works if the incoming light peaks in the short infrared, and the atmosphere blocks the longer infrared.

Earth's atmosphere's opacity in the infrared is highly variable depending on wavelength, but generally the greatest transparency is found at the boundary of the visible opacity window, at around 1100 nm. 1100 peak wavelength corresponds to a temperature of over 2600 K, hotter than most brown dwarfs. If the planet has an atmosphere similar to Earth's, then it would block the majority of its primary's radiation from directly reaching the surface. However, it is possible that if the radiation can penetrate deep enough into the atmosphere the heat could be transported to the surface through climatic effects.

Play with this here if you want more specific data:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Wien+displacement+law

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Sunday, 21.10.2012, 17:12

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 21.10.2012, 17:41 | Message # 13
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote (apenpaap)
I think life on that planet would probably be able to see; they'd just see in the InfraRed around the wavelength where their "sun" maximally radiates, much like we see around green, where our Sun has his radiation peak.

They cannot see in the IR band that corresponds to average temperature on the planet (for Earth it is 14° and maximum of backe body spectrum is on 10 microns). Because their bodies will have comparable temperature and will emit IR radiation too. Eyes will see isotropic glow emitted by themselves. The only way to see in IR band is having a cooling system for eyes smile

paradanDate: Monday, 29.10.2012, 00:56 | Message # 14
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
The only way to see in IR band is having a cooling system for eyes smile

OMG so these things are wandering around with these huge blood-shot eyes...

smjjamesDate: Monday, 29.10.2012, 01:28 | Message # 15
World Builder
United States
Quote (paradan)
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
The only way to see in IR band is having a cooling system for eyes smile

OMG so these things are wandering around with these huge blood-shot eyes...

lol @ the image. Still though, the organs probably wouldn't resemble what we call eyes.

It's entirely possible that some other method of seeing will evolve and become dominant instead.

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Brown dwarf with life
Page 1 of 212»
Search: