Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 212»
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Would Kickstarter work for SE?
Would Kickstarter work for SE?
ChekhonteDate: Monday, 02.04.2012, 19:09 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Users
United States
I love the space engine, I consider it the thing I've gotten the most out of when I upgraded my rig last year. I'd love to see further development.

Would extra cash from a kickstarter program help in this? I bet if we pooled together we could get places like engadget and geekologie to post it and get a decent amount of cash for the project.

I've never done something like this before so any input for people who frequent this board would be very helpful.

Attachments: 6994036.jpg(531Kb)

Elbarto84Date: Tuesday, 03.04.2012, 01:45 | Message # 2
Space Tourist
Brazil
It certainly could help in some ways. However, usually Kickstarter projects are commercially exploidable. Also the question remains whether money is what is needed or time. Lots of money can create time, but maybe the developers of this wonderful program have a job or school to go to and Space Engine is just a project on the side for them and they work on it when they have time.

I too hope that the development process could advance quicker and we could all enjoy more wonderful things. But on the other hand i imagine the developer(s) probably have a life too and i respect that and will wait patiently for anything =)

What also sucks is that only people from the United States can apply for a Kickstarter project.

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 03.04.2012, 16:46 | Message # 3
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Elbarto84, you are right. I develop SpaceEngine alone and when I have time. Work takes a lot of time. With a lot of money I can leave the work and spend all time developing SE. However, I think in a year or so SE should become a playable online game, and I can start to sell it. With the current download rate (20k download) and 10% of purchased copies, the money flow becomes significant enough so I can leave my current work and even take on some people to hire to make new models, music etc. If only several thousands people wish to buy "SpaceEngine the Game"...

Destructor1701Date: Tuesday, 03.04.2012, 20:06 | Message # 4
Pioneer
Ireland
What sort of price per copy were you thinking? And distribution - Steam?

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 03.04.2012, 20:40 | Message # 5
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
- distribution not through Steam - it is hard to get into it, and they take a big price for distribution.

InfecteDDate: Tuesday, 03.04.2012, 20:45 | Message # 6
Observer
Group: Newbies
Norway
I'd pay $172 for a feature complete space engine as you've outlined in some of the posts in here smile ($172 is just a quick currency conversion). If i could donate via paypal i would already have done so

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 03.04.2012, 21:13 | Message # 7
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Paypal does not work in Russia sad I have only webmoney now...
But when I finish the game, I will make contract with a software distribution company, they will collect money from any paying system in any country and send it directly to my bank account. Or maybe there is some other way for an indie developer?

KvikiDate: Wednesday, 04.04.2012, 00:27 | Message # 8
Explorer
Group: SE team
Croatia
Well steam takes its revenue depending on how (good) your game is. Probably since you're an indie developer the cut shouldn't be too large. You really should contact them once you're ready. There are many indie games on steam. And then there's Desura which indies are using, though its not quite as popular.
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

Edited by Kviki - Wednesday, 04.04.2012, 00:28

FuzzyDate: Wednesday, 04.04.2012, 05:26 | Message # 9
Observer
United States
With the massive success of Kickstarter, and the rather large following this game has on the Internet, I think it could work. It's worth a shot.

AlmostDifferentDate: Wednesday, 04.04.2012, 16:49 | Message # 10
Observer
Germany
AFAIK kickstarter.com only accepts American companies, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Apart from that, I think SpaceEngineer is doing it right: it's important to take his time to develop the engine to a stable and mature state first, so it can really show its potential. Smooth texture loading and less crashing is a must for showing it to the big public. And some basic gameplay to give people a clue what the final game will be all about (mother ship and shuttle to fly around in). After that point, some additional manpower will probably be necessary to add content, and that's where money will be necessary.

The point is, once you start alpha funding, in whatever way, you will be under constant pressure to churn out updates, to keep your backers happy. You'll need to fix bugs pronto, and add new features at a regular rate. If you don't, people will be disappointed and lose interest. At this early stage, this pressure could easily draw Vladimir's attention away from pursuing his strong vision.

As an example, take Kerbal Space Program. In my opinion, they took the public funding road a bit too early, and now they are struggling to keep up. They are doing a great job at it, being very close to their community and pushing out updates regularly. But from their postings on the forum, you can guess that they've been in constant "crunch time" lately, when the game gained a lot of new users. It seems to work for them, though, and I hope they can keep it up. But it's certainly not everybody's cup of tea to work that way.

The game Pioneer, if it were commercial, would be at the right development stage to start alpha funding.

Yeah, I'm rambling. Sorry for that. I just wanted to sneak in some links to two other great projects :-)

System Specs:
Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3 GHz
3.0 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 8600 GT (512 MB VRAM)

curiousepicDate: Wednesday, 04.04.2012, 17:47 | Message # 11
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
United States
Relevant: http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/birthday-greetings-from-mother-russia

My ideal preferences for visual design of the mothership and technology in SE
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

raycar5Date: Sunday, 05.01.2014, 17:54 | Message # 12
Observer
Spain
The thing is if this went to kickstarter i'm sure it would be founded in less than a day, specially if scott manley made a video about it (he has already done 2 about the updates in this game).
And can't you like, if you know someone in USA and you trust him, have him do the kickstarter and then send the money to you or something like that? Maybe i'm saying something ridiculous, but i want to see this game finished. happy

I5 GTX 560 8GB ram

DeathStarDate: Sunday, 05.01.2014, 17:58 | Message # 13
Pioneer
Croatia
raycar5, why would SE need a kickstarter if it already has a big, yellow button called "Donate" on the main page?

raycar5Date: Sunday, 05.01.2014, 18:04 | Message # 14
Observer
Spain
Quote DeathStar ()
raycar5, why would SE need a kickstarter if it already has a big, yellow button called "Donate" on the main page?

Because a lot more users go to kickstarter than they go to a webpage they dont know.
I'm not talking about the people that already know the game, i'm talking about getting people to know the game.

I5 GTX 560 8GB ram

Edited by raycar5 - Sunday, 05.01.2014, 18:12

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 05.01.2014, 18:38 | Message # 15
Cosmic Curator
United States
SpaceEngineer has said before that he plans to use Indiegogo for crowdfunding, but that can't happen soon. Ideally it should happen after he already has enough money to start developing SE full-time, so he can begin making more frequent and comprehensive updates, as well as devote more time to managing the funding campaign. Right now he's simply too busy to do a campaign like that properly.

After Indiegogo, it's not impossible that a Kickstarter might happen too, but it would be pretty complicated and there aren't yet any plans to do that.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Would Kickstarter work for SE?
Page 1 of 212»
Search: