[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » A future vision
A future vision
kagamisamaDate: Sunday, 25.03.2012, 10:48 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Poland
Hello there space travelers. I registered to this forum to ask something, Im monitoring this project for w while (well in fact, since i got bored of w8ting 3 years for infinity) And just today i saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....re=plcp
hence my question, is there a chance for space engine to look even close to this, and by this i mean 1:22 (just pause it there)
i know this is cg and SE is already beautiful but i want more I want some more details, more variety, more exploration to see something new each time... ehh i got caried away... i read wish list and stuff and I know there is a lot of work still to do, but...
Lets say in two years from now what is Your vision of space engine (or by that time something else)...

lexrazorDate: Sunday, 25.03.2012, 17:19 | Message # 2
Astronaut
Group: Users
Bulgaria
with the development of procedural galaxies i dont know how much more exploration you'd want to see. in the future, if you've read the to do list, we could be able to see more gameplay oriented things. EVE online is a whole lot different from Space Engine. one thing is for sure i think eve uses DirecX 11 while SE uses OpenGL. as far as i know richer details would deff make SE hard to run on the less capable systems. as for the detail in the cinematic trailer.. well i dont think there's any game that's that rich in details and smoothness. again, EVE is very different from SE and i dont think they've built it based on the "realness" of actual space. but all in all i could be terribly wrong so Vladimir should be able to answer all the technicalities lol :P

DevonXDate: Sunday, 25.03.2012, 17:38 | Message # 3
Space Pilot
Norway
Quote (lexrazor)
with the development of procedural galaxies i dont know how much more exploration you'd want to see. in the future, if you've read the to do list, we could be able to see more gameplay oriented things. EVE online is a whole lot different from Space Engine. one thing is for sure i think eve uses DirecX 11 while SE uses OpenGL. as far as i know richer details would deff make SE hard to run on the less capable systems. as for the detail in the cinematic trailer.. well i dont think there's any game that's that rich in details and smoothness. again, EVE is very different from SE and i dont think they've built it based on the "realness" of actual space. but all in all i could be terribly wrong so Vladimir should be able to answer all the technicalities lol :P

Still looks quite awesome tho :P

kagamisamaDate: Sunday, 25.03.2012, 20:33 | Message # 4
Observer
Poland
Quote (lexrazor)

Well i played eve for like 5 months, and dont want to even compare them (after all SE is not a game technically, yet at least) i just found this cool cinematic that happens to be from eve... By exploration i mean not just amount of stars... even if SE was only our galaxy we would die before exploring even a bit... how about some asteroid fields very close to planet just like from video or some kind of weird anomaly, ancient orbital building... i know someone will say this is not realistic or technically impossible, but instead making quadrilion asteroids near planet (technical stuff) just make couple of them, because as for now SE was used as a Space wallpaper generator, and thats why i asked about future vision... Will SE be more gameplay oriented or more aestethic/realistic approach will be made.

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 26.03.2012, 10:57 | Message # 5
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
In SE I make a simulation of realness only. So you won't see in the future such dense asteroid belts close to a planet, and almost colliding planets like in this video. Graphics will be improved, added more objects and variety. And gameplay will be added - flying on ships, more long and difficult exploration, so every asteroid or moon will be more daring for the players.

BHawthorneDate: Monday, 26.03.2012, 12:01 | Message # 6
Space Tourist
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
In SE I make a simulation of realness only. So you won't see in the future such dense asteroid belts close to a planet, and almost colliding planets like in this video. Graphics will be improved, added more objects and variety. And gameplay will be added - flying on ships, more long and difficult exploration, so every asteroid or moon will be more daring for the players.

I actually like that premise. Near future exploration by governments and individual corporations for different and often conflicting personal interests. Can be more sci-fact than sci-fi and still be quite interesting.

I suggest for ships that it also take a measured and realistic approach. Model the ships with a few things in mind. SOme people are going to want to make simpits. Look at Orbiter for example, I'm the one that spearheaded the Oribter forums simpit subforum. The cockpits of ships should use pre-existing measurements to populate them. For instance projection can emulate viewscreens, LCD panels can do touch screens and information displays. Be mindful of standard measurements for those sort of items. 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio viewscreens. Display panels in 22 or 24" LCD format. Control interfaces using sticks such as the Saitek X65F or Thrustmaster Warthog would be good to model after. that way there are real analogs in reality that can be used to represent things in the advanced looking futuristic ship bridge and cockpits. These are things that won't diminish what's possible and will only enhance it if done right. 99% of the people won't even realize that the exotic futuristic designs can also be emulated with existing tech.

Surround-Screen Gamer
Circular 180-degree Stereoscopic 3D Triple Projection
3840x800@120hz using 3x Optoma GT720

Edited by BHawthorne - Monday, 26.03.2012, 12:09

HardtsDate: Monday, 26.03.2012, 12:33 | Message # 7
Space Pilot
Denmark
God I'm so freakin tired of this war mentality that keeps emanating out from the back of the monkey part of the human brain.. Yes it looks good, but really?? - "One universe - One war" REALLY!? .......

Sorry about that ouburst, I just couldn't leave it.. I agree on keeping SE sober. However, a modding community could arise, and make some of this more esoteric stuff

i5 2500k 3,3 GHz @3,6GHz
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
3HDD (1TB+500GB+320GB)
Gainward Gtx 460 1GB
2 monitors: Samsung 27" P2770, 22" Samsung BW226
+A sh*tload of palmtree's around my computer :)

Edited by Hardts - Monday, 26.03.2012, 12:34

mustafa2812Date: Tuesday, 27.03.2012, 00:09 | Message # 8
Space Pilot
United States
Im assuming that once space engine comes closer to it's goal, there will end up being a much bigger community and therefore a bigger modding community. I would love to see this thing rocket like minecraft did. The way I see the game going so far, it seems like it has a similar appeal that minecraft has: Procedural everything. Customised experiences for everyone. Super rare finds and details. Beautiful scenery. Infinite vastness. Hopefully a multiplayer mode and more of an gameplay/exploration system rather than a google map type system will make it much more popular.

PC specs: Windows 7 64 bit. Intel Core i5-2400 quad-core (3.1GHz, 6MB Cache). 6GB DDR3-1333MGz SDRAM[2 DIMMs]. 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive. 3GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545.

RAF_BlackaceDate: Tuesday, 27.03.2012, 00:45 | Message # 9
Astronaut
United Kingdom
I respectfully disagree with mustafa. The known universe objects have to be non procedural and in this respect could and should be modable with greater detail models like in Celestia and even Orbiter. After that procedural can take control. I personally think SE has it just about right as it is. His release of the high res bump maps and textures for the Earth Moon and Mars show what third party addons can achieve.

Space Engine needs physics and spacecraft like Orbiter, and it has and should keep its procedural objects.

If I want to do a full Apollo moon shot with realistic physics, I use Orbiter. If I want great graphics I use Celestia or Space Engine. If you were not already aware, Orbiter has an online multi player mode, imagine Space Engine with that capability !!!

kagamisamaDate: Tuesday, 27.03.2012, 15:28 | Message # 10
Observer
Poland
Quote (SpaceEngineer)

Well thats good to hear. I am ok with either choice, im glad that we will get more gameplay. On other hand You said you are going for realness, while thats perfectly fine how about make something like photo mode or something like that, even now we can adjust setting to completely unrealistic settings and get awesome pictures... that are impossible to take in "real" space but still are awesome... cuz i love taking photos in games, iv spend more time in Gran Turismo Photo mode than in actual racing, and lets be honest as for now SE was just that, a space photo/movie maker(or to show ppl how small we are). Or perhaps as many ppl said before modding community will make something like this, is this possible? can parameters of game be adjusted if i really want to make a shot with very close asteroids covered in dust with red-green-blue nebula as backgroud?
BTW my dream game in space engine is... Kerbal space program... X3,eve build station on orbit... then explore like You have in plan... build another station... descend in Mass effect 1 vehicle... and finaly Evochron mercenary type, but thats just me tongue

mustafa2812Date: Tuesday, 27.03.2012, 19:13 | Message # 11
Space Pilot
United States
Oh yeah I agree that the real non-procedural object will always be in more detail but I think there is definitely room for expansion and improvement with the procedural generation. (just look at spaceengineers todo list). With each release of spaceengine, the procedural objects have been given greater detail and variation and the bugs are slowly being worked out. As it is right now, the planets seem a bit too similar to me but that doesn't mean this isn't one of my favorite programs for pc. I'm just saying that in the future, spaceengine will be so refined that I would hope it would garner the same kind of respect and popularity as minecraft when it blew up into the public sphere from its indie roots.

EDIT: Oh I see. You must have thought I meant that everything should be procedural. No, I agree with you. The actual data we have on celestial bodies is one of the most important inclusions in the game smile

PC specs: Windows 7 64 bit. Intel Core i5-2400 quad-core (3.1GHz, 6MB Cache). 6GB DDR3-1333MGz SDRAM[2 DIMMs]. 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive. 3GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545.

Edited by mustafa2812 - Tuesday, 27.03.2012, 19:14

maxDate: Saturday, 26.05.2012, 12:19 | Message # 12
Observer
United Kingdom
today there are really a lot of technological advance that we might not even imagine possible for the coming years especially with computer, as it is a very fast changing system, i hope that there will really be more details and an in depth features on this and i guess it is just really up to the developers how much they are willing to go to discover lengths for a more advance technology/feature.

AmyDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 16:59 | Message # 13
Observer
Thailand
We are on a planet...we are in space...the infinite is our home. My friend wrote that on his Facebook the other day. Me likey! smile

Space isn't the final frontier either...it's just where we are playing right now.

http://www.alacraft.com.au/cotton-lace-cat20

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 18:59 | Message # 14
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Amy)
Space isn't the final frontier either...it's just where we are playing right now.

Barring the discovery of other realities or aspects thereof available for us to explore, then space really is the final frontier, since it is literally all of everything. Though I suppose that certain things like the human psyche could be considered frontiers unto themselves. But most great mysteries are likely to be solved via space exploration, either directly or indirectly. As far as frontiers go, space is a great one. Infinite in expanse and diversity, and never lacking in fresh wonders to explore.

If there are great new frontiers awaiting discovery though, then it is likely that they will be discovered over the course of our investigations into the cosmos.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Jeroll3dDate: Monday, 05.11.2012, 10:36 | Message # 15
Astronaut
Brazil
Do not understand the post, anyway, SE is infinitely superior - even in their design - that EVE (game paid per month, which uses objects and textures glued to these animated objects). SE is a game of exploration, procedural, could lead to millions of systems, planets, asteroids, etc. ...

I bought a new computer just to play this wonderful game. And face it, its creator, a genius and not just because it made ​​a very good engine, but because it did so free - everyone can play - can use up public schools to teach astronomy!

Ever wonder if - someday - we can develop 'life procedural', a olgaritmo able to create life, space craft models from pre-existing functions and pre-established cities, organic life?

SE is the best space simulation game that I know - and I've played EVE, Trilogy X3, Celestia, etc ... has the early games of the future: it is 'procedural'.

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » A future vision
Page 1 of 11
Search: