Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Combining SpaceEngine with home-based flight sim
Combining SpaceEngine with home-based flight sim
MartyDate: Monday, 09.01.2012, 03:57 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
I have been considering combining space exploration software with a home based flight simulator such as the JoyRider:http://www.x-simulator.de/beta/downloads/quick_guide_simulator_types.pdf. Now that I have seen Space Engine's capabilities, I believe this would be a great engine to use.

Does Space Engine allow of joy stick inputs? Also I had considered using multiple monitors to allow for the feeling of being fully immersed (front, left, right, rear, and top). Is Space Engine configurable to show these types of perspectives simultaneously on multiple monitors?

TalismanDate: Monday, 09.01.2012, 04:47 | Message # 2
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Quote (Marty)
Does Space Engine allow of joy stick inputs? Also I had considered using multiple monitors to allow for the feeling of being fully immersed (front, left, right, rear, and top). Is Space Engine configurable to show these types of perspectives simultaneously on multiple monitors?

Space Engine does has an "aircraft" flight mode, although it's not on a "flight sim" level. I'm pretty sure Space Engine can allow joy stick inputs. And for front left right rear and top viewing, I'm sure its possible if you mess with FOV, but rendering all those directions as you fly along terrain would need an extremely good computer set up.

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 09.01.2012, 13:39 | Message # 3
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Flight physics are planned for nearest versions. Look here: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/14-369-1
Joystick is not supported, however I purchased a joystick recently, so support for it will come soon.

Multimonitor rendering is also not supported. But SE already has implemented the Fish-eye projection rendering (but it's a bit buggy and slow). You can use video projector with spherical mirror and spherical screen (dome) to create a panoramic view.

midtskogenDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 17:49 | Message # 4
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Multimonitor rendering is also not supported. But SE already has implemented the Fish-eye projection rendering (but it's a bit buggy and slow). You can use video projector with spherical mirror and spherical screen (dome) to create a panoramic view.

I just tried to stretch the SE window to 5760x1080 over three monitors (left-middle-right), and it works pretty well. I definitely get that immersed feeling (it's great fun!), but with a FOV greater than 30 degrees, objects on the sides get quite stretched and distorted. So an option to split the view into different camera views seems likely to help. I'm not sure what perspective/projection to use so that the edges of each view will stitch together nicely, though.

Speedwise SE runs just fine in 5760x1080 on my computer, a quad-core 3.5 GHz i7-3770K (16GB RAM @1600MHz), GeForce GTX 670 (2GB) and SSD disk - around 100 fps in orbit and around 40 fps near the ground with LOD 2. This is in Linux using Wine.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 21:35 | Message # 5
World Builder
United States
where do i get a spherical screen

I play teh spase engien

anonymousgamerDate: Thursday, 29.11.2012, 22:32 | Message # 6
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Not to be condescending, but: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=spherical+screen

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Combining SpaceEngine with home-based flight sim
Page 1 of 11
Search: