Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » What is the in-game difference between gas and ice giants? (I mean ingame, not real world (I know that part))
What is the in-game difference between gas and ice giants?
IdgeliosDate: Friday, 05.06.2015, 02:47 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
In reality, I know a gas giant and ice giant are different due to their compositions with ice giants having ices of varying sorts while gas giants are pretty much gas. However how does space engine treat gas and ice giants differently?

I first thought it entailed a different palette set, but I look in palettes and they're similiar (though in theory you can change this). Is it density/mass? Is life more prone to spawn in ice as opposed to gas giants due to ice giants having more organics and a thicker atmosphere? Will there be a ocean with procedural diamond ice bergs in some cases in future updates?

I am confused.

Edited by Idgelios - Friday, 05.06.2015, 02:49

IanTheGuyDate: Friday, 05.06.2015, 03:08 | Message # 2
Space Pilot
United States
Well the in game difference is not pretty much different to my perspective instead that the music plays differently.

I dont know much about giant planets in-game.

Quote Idgelios ()
Will there be a ocean with procedural diamond ice bergs in some cases in future updates?

No. SE giant planet's "surface" are using the texture as the surface. There is no surface features on giant planets, except that its all flat.

Its like walking on clouds you can't get through. But I would really love it the atmosphere was super super dense and thick and keep venturing down to the solid core, that would be awesome.

Math is the "programming" language of the universe.

Edited by IanTheGuy - Friday, 05.06.2015, 03:16

NolDate: Friday, 05.06.2015, 17:20 | Message # 3
Space Pilot
Germany
IanTheGuy, As far as I know, ice giants are smaller than gas giants. And that's about it.

"Eins - Hier kommt die Sonne
Zwei - Hier kommt die Sonne
Drei - Sie ist der hellste Stern von allen
Vier - Hier kommt die Sonne"

-Rammstein, Sonne, Mutter, 2001

IanTheGuyDate: Friday, 05.06.2015, 18:52 | Message # 4
Space Pilot
United States
Quote Nol ()
IanTheGuy, As far as I know, ice giants are smaller than gas giants. And that's about it.

Yes that too, But I wasn't really sure.

Math is the "programming" language of the universe.

DiscovererOfWorldsDate: Saturday, 06.06.2015, 08:14 | Message # 5
Space Pilot
Italy
For example: icy giant: Neptune
Gas giant:Saturn
the difference is that Neptune is smaller than Saturn, but all are gas planets

the universe is made to be explored, but no one will ever visit it all

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » What is the in-game difference between gas and ice giants? (I mean ingame, not real world (I know that part))
Page 1 of 11
Search: