[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Ramdom Name Generation
Ramdom Name Generation
sent808Date: Thursday, 28.05.2015, 10:01 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
Pirate
Hi. is there anyway to name (with a system) like millions of starts that are generated when you create a Galaxy?

I ask this because i know a few name generator programs that are available and it would really be cool if you could create a Galaxy and take more part in the generation of the starts and planets ..ect

Also ( i dont know how the search system of SE works now really ) but it might help the user in searching starts. For example a start name consist: (galaxy name) + (Ramdom generated name from a big list) + (Number of times THAT name is used in roman numbers or normal) + (Type of start) + (diameter for example).
Because the start system i think has a limit for 10.000 and its a bit slow. It cant be used for searching in a Big Galaxy with Billions of starts thats for sure xD.

What do you think? ^^

DisasterpieceDate: Saturday, 30.05.2015, 14:15 | Message # 2
World Builder
United States
Not to be rude or anything, but I'm sure you mean "star" not "start". I'm also having a little trouble understanding your suggestion/question. Are you asking if you can automatically give stars custom names in a custom galaxy? Because the answer to that is no.

I play teh spase engien

sent808Date: Saturday, 30.05.2015, 14:50 | Message # 3
Astronaut
Pirate
Quote Disasterpiece ()
Not to be rude or anything, but I'm sure you mean "star" not "start". I'm also having a little trouble understanding your suggestion/question. Are you asking if you can automatically give stars custom names in a custom galaxy? Because the answer to that is no.

Yes ``star´´ sorry.

I find ways to do it. ( i know that with current version of SE you cant do that ingame )

But for example with a name generation (program) i just need to inject names in my files into stars in a fast way.

Also i think this is the future. Look at No man sky or Elite Dangerous. If using procedural generation you kind of need also name generation that by the way is already implement is just the names are not user friendly. rc 5678 456 3424 Who likes that name?

Anyway i am working into this. Also i have seen others working in this forum like the sci-fi story generation thread smile

Edited by sent808 - Saturday, 30.05.2015, 14:53

BlueDracheDate: Sunday, 31.05.2015, 02:35 | Message # 4
Space Pilot
United States
I think it's the daunting task of coming up with names ... hundreds, if not thousands, of them, that prevent anyone from doing it, because ... honestly ... my star that's called "Progenesis Alpha" may not have the same RC code that yours will, leading to a confused patchwork of individual star-charts.

Besides, I name the interesting ones for a reason ... so I can find them later. If they're auto-named, then a mundane brown dwarf with junk planets will take a nifty name that I like for something else, or it might be named "Serpens Prime" in the middle of the Libra constellation instead of a star in the Draco constellation.

It's a good idea, and I wish you the best of luck.

sent808Date: Sunday, 31.05.2015, 11:58 | Message # 5
Astronaut
Pirate
Quote BlueDrache ()
It's a good idea, and I wish you the best of luck.
Ty^^!!

I aleady have my ramdom name code generator written in C# . Now i need 2 things that i feel are going to be more dificult: Copy and paste that name from the console ect to the start. Also if posible a way to auto navigate throught the stars of a Galaxy. Better if fast.

I thought using the 10k max search for starts but anyway. Any help is appreciated!! smile

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 31.05.2015, 14:48 | Message # 6
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
sent808, select your star or planet and press 'i'. You can give a custom name to it, and in the latest beta (0.974) you can even write a description.

For automatic names, answer is no - it will not be implemented. There is many reasons:
First, only players will give names for stars/ planets. In this case, names will have some logical sense, unlike automatic name.
Second, if you find a named star (in search for example), this gives you idea what this star has been discovered by someone.
Third, think of other languages. The automatic system must be able to generate at least readable name for any language. There should be a filter to disable generation of mature language for each language. In a user naming system, I can provide interface which asks user to input international/transliterated name next to his native language name for the planet. There will be a moderators team for each language, who will accept or deny this name, or even public polling system for it (like/dislike). The second even allows polling for better name between users.
I can insert random name generator as a button "Generate" next to button "Rename". Just like a suggestion system.

sent808Date: Sunday, 31.05.2015, 16:34 | Message # 7
Astronaut
Pirate
SpaceEngineer i understand that in the online game it makes no sense ramdom generated names. But for people (like me) that love to create galaxies far far away would be amazing if there was an option to generate a ``good name´´ according to the galaxies for all the stars. Thats why i will work on make this even if is not implemented just for personal use.

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
I can insert random name generator as a button "Generate" next to button "Rename". Just like a suggestion system.

This is good enough for me (if its posible to customize that name generation system). Because i already have my system but is always better to just use the game interface.

SHWDate: Sunday, 31.05.2015, 18:36 | Message # 8
Astronaut
Group: SE team
Pirate
In our game there was a funny incident with random name generator for NPC. Once it generated name "SUKAMENT" on gamer's pc. It could be translated from Russian into English like a "b**ch cop".

Also, I've approximately calculated word length to make unique names for most universe objects. It should be about 25 characters long. So it is a fairly long name, consisting from 3-4 words. But it is possible to use something like arithmetic compression and get shorter names for large objects and longer names for smaller ones.

Your mind is software. Program it.
Your body is a shell. Change it.
Death is a disease. Cure it.

Edited by SHW - Sunday, 31.05.2015, 18:41

sent808Date: Sunday, 31.05.2015, 19:04 | Message # 9
Astronaut
Pirate
Quote SHW ()
Also, I've approximately calculated word length to make unique names for most universe objects. It should be about 25 characters long. So it is a fairly long name, consisting from 3-4 words. But it is possible to use something like arithmetic compression and get shorter names for large objects and longer names for smaller ones.

smile for now i only get like 100k names xD but of course i could develop more by adding more names. You are right about the 3-4 words smile

I attach the generator for now just a c# file but better than most of the online genrators out there.

SHW how did you calculated aprox the objets in SE? xD just for curiosity. I dont plan naming all. just a couple of Trillion from my galaxies^^.

Attachments: Aleatorio_Estre.txt(6Kb)

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Ramdom Name Generation
Page 1 of 11
Search: