RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Why do binary systems lack asteroids and comets?
Why do binary systems lack asteroids and comets?
JDC93Date: Thursday, 14.05.2015, 04:03 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
I'm fairly new to Space Engine, and I must say that I'm absolutely blown away! The sheer scale of the procedurally generated universe is dizzying.

I've noticed that virtually all single star systems harbor an asteroid belt (sometimes multiple) in addition to numerous comets, however, binary systems do not. In fact, any binary system that I've come across is effectively "sterile" with regard to comets and asteroids that orbit the star(s) directly.

Why are debris fields and asteroid belts not sustainable in binary systems? I've tried searching the site via Google, but I couldn't find any threads discussing this. Nonetheless, I apologize if this has been asked over and over.

Thanks!

Edited by JDC93 - Thursday, 14.05.2015, 04:28

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 14.05.2015, 10:55 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
The very first binary system I checked contained both asteroids and comets.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

apenpaapDate: Thursday, 14.05.2015, 21:02 | Message # 3
World Builder
Group: Users
Antarctica
I can't say I've ever noticed this either. Are you sure you're not just having bad luck and missing them?

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

DeathStarDate: Thursday, 14.05.2015, 22:09 | Message # 4
Pioneer
Group: Users
Croatia
I think that the problem is with close binaries - asteroids and comets only seem to generate around individual stars in distant binaries, but never around the barycenter of close binaries.

JDC93Date: Thursday, 14.05.2015, 23:57 | Message # 5
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
After searching through about 15 binary systems, I finally found one with comets and asteroids. I suppose I should have been a bit more thorough.

Thanks anyways!

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Why do binary systems lack asteroids and comets?
Page 1 of 11
Search: