Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Build a PC capable of smooth Space Engine
Build a PC capable of smooth Space Engine
XoceroXDate: Saturday, 27.12.2014, 20:15 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Spain
A friend of mine wants to build a new PC and just discovered Space Engine. I already know the official systems requirements, but they are quite vague. I have a few questions about this:

1) Is SpaceEngine well threaded? (an FX-8350 would be a very good bang-for-the-buck option if yes, or very bad if no)

2) How important is the GPU in this game comparatively to the CPU?

3) Would an SSD make any difference?

I have myself an FX-8350 and a 560 ti and an HDD, but if he's going to build a new computer I think he should aim for better performance than mine. Any thoughts?

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 27.12.2014, 20:34 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote XoceroX ()
Is SpaceEngine well threaded? (an FX-8350 would be a very good bang-for-the-buck option if yes, or very bad if no)

Yes and no. I don't know much about it, but I do know that some things (generation of stars and galaxies, for example) run in threads quite well and will use however many cores you have, while some other things don't.

Quote XoceroX ()
How important is the GPU in this game comparatively to the CPU?

Very important. A good GPU should be the main focus of the build, my general advice is to get the best Nvidia card he can afford (AMD has too many weird issues with drivers). VRAM is the most important thing. Ideally he needs to get something with 4 GB.

Quote XoceroX ()
Would an SSD make any difference?

Not really, certainly not enough to be worth the extra money. Better to get a high performance HDD (WD Black for example). SSD would only make loading textures from disk faster, but since almost all of SE is procedurally generated, this wouldn't help.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

XoceroXDate: Sunday, 28.12.2014, 11:48 | Message # 3
Observer
Spain
Thank you for your answer. smile

This should do it:

www.pccomponentes.com/pccly/F51aE866

Ex_Date: Wednesday, 04.03.2015, 02:01 | Message # 4
Observer
United States
I actually have a dissenting view from Harbinger's about the SSD.

I installed .9.7.2 on my SSD after having it installed on my 7200rpm HDD, and the SSD install was very, very smooth by comparison. Moving through the galaxy and insane speeds creates smoothly passing stars, where previously it was stutter every few seconds. Everything that needs loading of any kind seems smoother and faster with the SSD. SE is small as a stand-alone install, so there's no reason NOT to install it to your SSD, if you have one.

I would challenge anyone who disagrees and has a little bit of choppiness in space engine at times (lower FPS etc.) to try using an SSD instead and making note of any differences.

Good luck!

the_nerervarineDate: Thursday, 19.03.2015, 06:57 | Message # 5
Space Pilot
Group: Users
United States
I'm using my tax return for a new build. I to am going with the FX-8320. As it does seem to be the biggest bang for your buck. I know everyone here says go with Nvidia for a GPU when it comes to SpaceEngine but you can pick up a AMD r9 290x 4gb for $249 dollars after a $20 mail in rebate. That's way to good to pass up.

AMD FX-8320 8 core @4.0ghz , AMD R9 290 4GB, 8GB DDR3 @1866mhz, 1TB Hard Drive

Edited by the_nerervarine - Thursday, 19.03.2015, 06:58

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Build a PC capable of smooth Space Engine
Page 1 of 11
Search: