[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Custom descriptions
Custom descriptions
SkiminoHarmonDate: Thursday, 23.01.2014, 08:52 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Hello! I am brand new to this game. I can not stop playing it. I'm completely hooked. I have named many things. My question is can I also make a custom description for the planets, suns, etc I find? If so, how? Thx!

DeathStarDate: Thursday, 23.01.2014, 10:18 | Message # 2
Pioneer
Group: Users
Croatia
Since SE currently does not have a built-in text editor, you can't edit an objects description directly in the game. You can add descriptions by editing the game's scripts, however.

Go into locale and find the eng-db.cfg and eng-db.bak files. Open one of them up in notepad/notepad++/whatever you prefer.

Now, go down to the bottom of the text and start typing:

RObject
{
LocName [insert the actual location name of the place in-game(example, RS 5-435-234)]
Name [How do you want this place to be called]
Parent [What's it orbiting around? If it is a moon, type its parent planet name. If it is a planet, type the name of the star/star barycenter it orbits. If it is a star, nebula or galaxy, skip this whole 'parent' part. If it is a cluster, type the name of the galaxy it is in.]
Pioneer [Who discovered the object. The name is up to you]
Date [Date of discovery. Again, it is up to you]
Descr "[Type your description here]"
}

When done, copy the stuff you did and paste it into the other text file as well.

Edited by DeathStar - Thursday, 23.01.2014, 10:20

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 23.01.2014, 12:13 | Message # 3
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote DeathStar ()
Now, go down to the bottom of the text and start typing:

No. I don't mean to sound unkind, but almost everything you wrote there is either wrong or unnecessary.

The entry for every planet you name is already in the database file. The only thing you have to do is add the Descr part. You can use the other entries already in the database as a guide for making your own entry.

For a procedural planet that you found and named, it will look something like this after you've added the description:

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DeathStarDate: Thursday, 23.01.2014, 12:43 | Message # 4
Pioneer
Croatia
Sorry, it is just that I haven't edited descriptions for a long time now. Thanks for correcting me.

SkiminoHarmonDate: Thursday, 23.01.2014, 15:26 | Message # 5
Observer
United States
Thanks guys. I'm sure I can get it done now!

Added (23.01.2014, 18:26)
---------------------------------------------
When I go into the eng-db.cfg file and add Descr "rfdfgrkgkjfmriokgjikrgjmirkgjm" } I then go to the planet but nothing has been updated. I then tried to export the file of the planet to the export folder.. change it the same way and then import it. It says it imports it successfully but, again, nothing changed. I changed the pioneer field as well just to test if I was doing something wrong when adding the Descr but nothing changed in that field either. Can anyone help me out. I'd love to keep a descriptive log of things my son and I find. Thx!

Here is an example of the code I am impoting from the file watercat.cfg located in the export folder

PObject
{
LocName "Watercat"
Name "RS 8410-6-6-40537-337 3"
Parent "RS 8410-6-6-40537-337"
Pioneer "Christopher Bryan Harmon"
Date "2014.01.23 03:33:24.14"
Descr "A drop of blue amongst a sea of black. A planet named by my son, Jackson Harmon. He is an 8 year old boy who's current love of pixel kittys influenced the name of this ball of royal blue. I found no life on my brief stay on Watercat. I can only imagine the possibilities of marine life on this planet. If not today then maybe tomorrow. On a future expedition I would like to take samples of the water to test for nutrients and the origins of life."
}

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 23.01.2014, 16:44 | Message # 6
Cosmic Curator
United States
There is nothing wrong with the code that I can see. I put it into my eng-db.cfg file, saved it, and it showed up in-game perfectly.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Thursday, 23.01.2014, 16:49

SkiminoHarmonDate: Thursday, 23.01.2014, 17:06 | Message # 7
Observer
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
There is nothing wrong with the code that I can see. I put it into my eng-db.cfg file, saved it, and it showed up in-game perfectly.

Now I'm jealous. I feel like I'm doing the same thing except nothing. I open the eng-db.cfg file in notepad. I add that exact code at the end. I make sure there is no other reference to the planet that may be over riding it. I save. When I go into the game I hit F3 and search Watercat. Although that name does not show as an option, when I hit "go to" it will still take me to the planet except with no changes. Still only the original name change of the planet but no descript.

The process seems easy, that's the frustrating part of it not working.

UPDATE

It works now. Don't ask me how. I updated the description of one of it's moon and it worked and somehow the original planet updated as well. My day has been made. Thanks for taking the time to help a brother out wink

Edited by SkiminoHarmon - Thursday, 23.01.2014, 17:25

z_zoneDate: Friday, 22.08.2014, 16:05 | Message # 8
Observer
Pirate
I can change the name of the planet, but I can not add any information because my cursor is not released on the screen to do this. Please can someone help me? biggrin

Added (22.08.2014, 15:05)
not appear the option enter description here

Core I5 3570K Processor, Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 , GTX 960 2GB

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 22.08.2014, 16:11 | Message # 9
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
z_zone, description editor is not implemented yet.
Please use the search function before making new posts.

z_zoneDate: Friday, 22.08.2014, 18:23 | Message # 10
Observer
Pirate
I searched, but I'm sorry if not found. Could you please help me find the topic because as I do not speak English can not be searched with the correct term.

Added (22.08.2014, 16:43)
ah! but not yet implemented! My apologies!

Added (22.08.2014, 17:23)
Like I said it was just knowing the correct term to search. I looked for editor description and found this:
http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/11-2042-1#36876. Thanks!

Core I5 3570K Processor, Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 , GTX 960 2GB

Edited by z_zone - Friday, 22.08.2014, 18:25

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Custom descriptions
Page 1 of 11
Search: