Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » How procuderal is this? How can locations be shared?
How procuderal is this? How can locations be shared?
AndroidVagetaDate: Friday, 17.01.2014, 04:24 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Users
United States
Sorry if this has been asked before (couldn't quite find anything)!

So, how procedural is SpaceEngine? How is it possible that I can fly to some random galaxy to some random solar system to some random planet and can send those coordinates to someone else and they can see the EXACT same thing I can?

If it's procedural then shouldn't that mean that EVERYONES universe is different? If it isn't that procedural then how is having every planet in every solar system in every galaxy even possible in a 1.3GB game? That would be an extreme amount of data would it not? This game has to have billions if not trillions of solar systems within itself...how are all the planets and what not the same between everyone?

I don't know...I'm just confused...can anyone explain just how this is possible?

anonymousgamerDate: Friday, 17.01.2014, 04:29 | Message # 2
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
The seed used to generate the procedural worlds is the same on all systems, so the same stuff will generate on all computers.

In Minecraft, if you type a map seed on one computer and the same map seed on another computer, the same map will generate. It's the same idea.

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

AndroidVagetaDate: Friday, 17.01.2014, 04:33 | Message # 3
Observer
United States
Well how is that even possible though? How can a single seed generate the exact same planets in a universe that has trillions of them?

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 17.01.2014, 04:35 | Message # 4
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote AndroidVageta ()
Well how is that even possible though? How can a single seed generate the exact same planets in a universe that has trillions of them?

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

AndroidVagetaDate: Friday, 17.01.2014, 04:40 | Message # 5
Observer
United States
Well that's mighty helpful! dry

PsauceDate: Friday, 17.01.2014, 04:50 | Message # 6
Space Tourist
United States
the short :
Computers cant actually generate random values. It just appears random, and the exact same numbers can be generated over and over again with a seed (starting point)

the long:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudorandomness

Edited by Psauce - Friday, 17.01.2014, 05:00

pebbleDate: Friday, 17.01.2014, 05:05 | Message # 7
Astronaut
United States
I spent a few minutes looking for helpful articles on deterministic pseudorandom numbers, these are okay but not quite as descriptive as I wanted.

Random Number Seed

What are random seed values?

Pseudorandom numbers

Pseudorandom number generators are mathematical functions that produce very complicated and random-appearing numerical sequences. But if you put the same initial value into the function, you get the same sorta-random result.

In the case of games and universe simulators, these results are close enough to randomness to be convincing, and they have the added benefit of generating the same sequence for each player, so long as they all use the same inputs.

Here's a very simplified example. Let's say I have a game called Toy Room, where you walk around a virtual toy room and see a collection of toys placed there by a pseudorandom number sequence. You check floor tile 2-4, and those numbers (when passed through the pseudorandom generator) come back with the code for "Blue Stuffed Elephant". Everyone who plays Toy Room and looks at floor tile 2-4 will see the same thing.

I hope that sheds a little light on your question.

Edited by pebble - Friday, 17.01.2014, 05:24

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 17.01.2014, 12:58 | Message # 8
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
To break it down simply: everything is just a series of mathematical equations and expressions. As with any case in math, for any given input you will always get the same output. For example, if x=14, then x3 - 4x + 7 * (1/x) will always equal 2688.5, no matter how many times you calculate it. Anyone who tries to solve that equation for x=14 will get the same result.

The same is true for procedural generation from a fixed seed.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Friday, 17.01.2014, 13:00

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » How procuderal is this? How can locations be shared?
Page 1 of 11
Search: