RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 3123»
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Learning to pilot a ship - tutorial?
Learning to pilot a ship - tutorial?
PhilDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 14:09 | Message # 1
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United Kingdom
So I 'took control' of a ship, pressed '4', and was then completely stuck.
I didn't understand anything that was going on - I couldn't even get the ship thrusting/moving.
Every time I pressed something, the screen went black and the arrows went crazy.
I had to destroy the ship each time, and restart SE.

Is there a video or tutorial anywhere?

Thanks.

apenpaapDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 14:59 | Message # 2
World Builder
Antarctica
Well, there is a bug that causes the ship to be teleported way outside the universe spinning rapidly; this is probably what hit you. You don't actually need to restart SE; if you return to free mode with 1 you can return to Earth by pressing Shift+H thrice and then G.

As for piloting the ship, trial and error is the best teacher at the moment. The stock ships all have realistic amounts of acceleration, so it takes a while to visibly pick up speed in the vastness of space. To practice, you can type 'ufo' in the console (~ key), after which you can make your acceleration as high as you like with the mouse wheel.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

ProteusDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 15:43 | Message # 3
Explorer
United States
I've experimented here and there with the new ships and can go interstellar.... I'm just utterly clueless about the orbital functions and how any of them are intended to work. I assume it is far from being completed enough to be used on any intuitive level (unless I'm just missing crucial info about using them). I usually end up just destroying the ship and continuing with normal navigation mode meanwhile.

PhilDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 19:48 | Message # 4
Space Tourist
United Kingdom
I'm glad I'm not the only one, at least. That's some comfort.

ZachoDate: Sunday, 05.01.2014, 20:53 | Message # 5
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Only thing thats really throwing me off is the Orbital Parameters. Would be nice to have a peri/apo over the surface and not the center. Coming from orbiter/ksp thats the one thing thats making me crash into them when i go for a low pass.

ProteusDate: Sunday, 05.01.2014, 21:27 | Message # 6
Explorer
United States
Could somebody make a video tutorial on youtube for these things, demonstrating how they work and how to utilize them properly? I think it would clear up a great deal of things. Just showing the general key bindings for it doesn't say much at all because of the dynamics of its mechanics, and there is a lot of info about using each of them that needs to be a more explained.

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 06.01.2014, 02:08 | Message # 7
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Zacho ()
thats the one thing thats making me crash into them when i go for a low pass.

When peri is red it means it's below the surface, yellow means it's very close to the surface, and green means it's safe, so you should never crash.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

MikaaDate: Monday, 06.01.2014, 16:52 | Message # 8
Observer
Germany
I really like the new piloting system but as Zacho mentionned it would be really convenient to have a peri/apo over the surface instead of from the center of the parent body. It would also be awesome to have a "time to apo/peri" to make orbital maneuvers easier.

And by the way, is there a way to zoom in/out in the trajectory view ?

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 06.01.2014, 16:57 | Message # 9
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote Mikaa ()
And by the way, is there a way to zoom in/out in the trajectory view ?

Hold both mouse buttons and move the mouse.

My SE mods and addons

ProteusDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 09:03 | Message # 10
Explorer
United States
I'm sorry to multi-post like this, but I've tried dozens of times and in dozens of different methods to use the ships here, and though I've learned how to accelerate with main engines and the hyperspace drive, and center on an object and move to toward it (for maybe only a couple minutes before it veers randomly off into a different direction uncontrollably), that is about all I can achieve with any of the controls in the readme. Is there any kind of comprehensible documentation somewhere that just explains in easier language how to do things? I can't even get a ship to any planet or object with nor without UFO mode on, with the hyperjump, all it does it shoot past it even if all its engines are off and time is at normal. All the orbital functions do is direct me into the center of the planet, and then hang me in a random area on it going in erratic circles.

I understand that the piloting system is still very under development, but I find myself confused when people here talk about it as if its about as easy and common as the camera mode. I'm must be way out of the loop here, or just not astronomically inclined enough to know what's going on. lol

help? sad

PhilDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 11:17 | Message # 11
Space Tourist
United Kingdom
I'm the same - three hours, and I still can't even move a ship beyond 50 km/s, let alone in the direction I actually want to go in. I got a ship to go into hyper drive ONCE, with the speed or acceleration being controlled by the mouse wheel. But I can't repeat it.

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results, so I'm simply going to stop trying to pilot ships now until I have more information. This is the first really negative experience I've had with Space Engine.

What makes me really pissed off is this video, with multiple ships flying into the shot at the beginning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mootV7Iqa34

There's also a video somewhere in the addons section, where a model is shown in hyperdrive, but the camera is outside of the gravity effect looking at the ship. EDIT found it: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-1558-1

So some people are managing to work it out - it can't be that buggy and under-developed.

Edited by Phil - Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 11:33

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 11:47 | Message # 12
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote Proteus ()
I'm sorry to multi-post like this, but I've tried dozens of times and in dozens of different methods to use the ships here, and though I've learned how to accelerate with main engines and the hyperspace drive, and center on an object and move to toward it (for maybe only a couple minutes before it veers randomly off into a different direction uncontrollably), that is about all I can achieve with any of the controls in the readme.

One small question: do you reset the time flow speed to 1? If time is accelerated, numerical errors in atmospheric flight may throw your ship into infinity.

ProteusDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 14:32 | Message # 13
Explorer
United States
No. I've had it at various time speeds, the first time having it at somewhere between 100 and 300, and thinking that maybe the planet was just getting away from me as I floated toward it, and so, I put it at 1, but seemed to make no difference.

With the orbiting, putting it at a faster time flow is how I see for sure that the orbit mode is in fact pulling me into a planet that I try to orbit. Now, I will say that there are times (very randomly), that after having to destroy a ship after it does get flung into infinity, I go back to a body, select it, and rebuild the ship, it [sometimes] does actually [and automatically], expand an orbit path around it. But then, I attempt to learn exactly what was responsible for letting it doing it correctly, and look at the flight mode, which sometimes is in Forced Simulation, and sometimes in Auto Orbit, and sometimes in Forced Orbit. I have yet to find what any of these modes do or mean because I have yet to discover anything that they apparently affect, with the exception of throwing me back into infinity after cycling it back into Forced Orbit mode.

Added (07.01.2014, 15:01)
---------------------------------------------

Quote Phil ()
What makes me really pissed off is this video, with multiple ships flying into the shot at the beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mootV7Iqa34

I think I know how he did that actually - simply by placing each ship in a position and then running the camera by them in reverse as they stay still, it makes it look like they are flying toward a planet. (I think I've had that effect demonstrated to me before) smile

Added (07.01.2014, 17:32)
---------------------------------------------
I'm starting to learn how the orbits work, realizing how important reference bodies are, and how they are automatically selected according to the closest body near me. I didn't know what "reference body" was until now, and how it works. Figuring it cleared up a great deal of things... now I'm just practicing maneuvering onto an orbit path of a chosen reference body, to lock me into its orbit (and that in itself still isn't too easy, but its getting better). I'm still not sure exactly what all the modes do, but I've taken a guess, that the simulation modes are like manual control to go from one point to another, and the force orbital mode locks me into the nearest orbit (making me move in the same pattern, but not necessarily in the same area). And yes, I have learned to pay better attention to when and if I'm in normal time pace or not, that does help negate the slingshot bug (its a given that is a bug that I can't wait to get fixed! lol). I could be wrong, but I would also guess that its important to use the right kind of ship for orbiting the right kind of bodies (ie, planetary for planets, starships for stars themselves?, and shuttles for inner-atmospheric flight).

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 14:48 | Message # 14
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote Proteus ()
I could be wrong, but I would also guess that its important to use the right kind of ship for orbiting the right kind of bodies (ie, planetary for planets, starships for stars themselves?, and shuttles for inner-atmospheric flight).

No, this makes no difference. Ships all behave the same in space, whether in real life or in SE.

Quote Proteus ()
I'm still not sure exactly what all the modes do

Simulation mode is the physics simulation mode, where forces (gravity, thrust, aerodynamics) can act on your craft. Orbit mode locks your craft into a static orbit with its current orbital elements and prevents forces from affecting your craft. You should not engage orbit mode until you have your craft in a stable orbit around an object (orbit not intersecting the planet, and eccentricity less than 1).

My SE mods and addons

ProteusDate: Tuesday, 07.01.2014, 14:55 | Message # 15
Explorer
United States
Okay, thanks.

I'd like to ask though, more specifically, what is the difference between Forced Orbit, and Auto Orbit, and Force Simulation and Auto Simulation?

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Learning to pilot a ship - tutorial?
Page 1 of 3123»
Search: