[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Planets line up
Planets line up
SpaceDreamerDate: Saturday, 27.04.2013, 10:35 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Italy
Hi, first I would like to thank SpaceEngineer for creating this great software. I'm loving it!

Here I come to the question. I would to make a video in which I go from the earth to Saturn, finding on the path Mars and Jupiter. So what I need is to have a line up of those planets so I can record them while travelling in a straight line.
I searched a time (year, month and day) in which it could be possible, but I found that it's quite impossible to have a perfect line up of all planets.

So I wonder, it's possible to assign manually the position of planets?
Or if not, could you give me some idea to obtain the same result?

VoekoevakaDate: Saturday, 27.04.2013, 13:12 | Message # 2
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
Hey SpaceDreamer and welcome to the forum. You can change the parameter ArgOfPericenter to change the position of the planets.
This parameter can be edited in the edit mode.

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 27.04.2013, 18:54 | Message # 3
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Yes, you may edit ArgOfPericenter in the Planet Editor (select the planet, goto main menu -> editor -> edit planet).

SpaceDreamerDate: Sunday, 28.04.2013, 00:54 | Message # 4
Observer
Italy
Thank you all. I found it! There is a way to "freeze" changes (or export them) so that when I close and open SpaceEngine again it will show me same configuration (planet's positions)?

Edited by SpaceDreamer - Sunday, 28.04.2013, 00:55

VoekoevakaDate: Sunday, 28.04.2013, 11:59 | Message # 5
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
You can save the new positions of the planets on "data/catalogs/planets/SolarSys". Search the planet you want to change position, and find "ArgOfPericenter" on the orbit parameters. If you copy the value you have edited in Space Engine, and save, you'll find this value the next time you open SE.
(Advice : you should make a copy of SolarSys.sc because the positions of planets are based on real data.)

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 28.04.2013, 13:01 | Message # 6
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
You may also make every planet with the same Period, Inclination, ArgOfPericenter and all other orbital parameters, except SemiMajorAxis. So all planets will be lined up at any moment of time.

SpaceDreamerDate: Sunday, 28.04.2013, 14:22 | Message # 7
Observer
Italy
Ok, I have modified the SolarSys.sc putting the same orbit parameters for the planets involved. It worked! smile
Thank you guys!

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Planets line up
Page 1 of 11
Search: