Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » A partnership with Universe Sandbox
A partnership with Universe Sandbox
kairunotabiDate: Sunday, 17.02.2013, 06:30 | Message # 1
Group: Users
Space Engine has good visuals and some features that UBox 3 won't have and/or features that will never be implemented. The same thing applies to Space Engine. If we could export/import SE files to UBox 3 or UBox 3 files to SE, that would be awesome! Just think about the possibilities!

SE's visuals is far more advance than what UBox 2 or 3 have or would have, also you can land on the celestial bodies like you we're living there which is quite better than the landing feature of UBox 3, on the other hand, Ubox can simulate gravity better and allows as to do a lot of interaction than SE.

So how would the partnership works? Both team will do their project on their own, instead they can discuss features that would make their projects better like the ability to export and import files from SE to UBox or UBox to SE or even UBox to SE to 3DS/Blender3D/Unity3D/ETC! By having such features, researchers and game developers can easily use those assets in many ways whether for personal use, public education, commercial works and more!

Let's discuss about it deeper shall we?

neutronium76Date: Sunday, 17.02.2013, 11:45 | Message # 2
World Builder
This has been suggested and discussed many many times in the past. Even with a modern supercomputer it would take ages to render something llike a combination of US3+SE at acceptable frame rates. Check back in a few millenia for progress biggrin

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

Edited by neutronium76 - Sunday, 17.02.2013, 13:49
TimDate: Sunday, 17.02.2013, 14:01 | Message # 3
I would say decennia, or maybe just a few years, computer technology is growing increasingly fast.
DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 17.02.2013, 21:20 | Message # 4
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
At the earliest of something like this existing on the average desktop/laptop I would guess around 2025, latest another 50+ years when/if at home quantum computing ever happens. tongue

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 18.02.2013, 00:12 | Message # 5
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
I have my own working code for simulating 10000 particles with gravity and gasodynamics at interactive frame rates. So if it will be needed, I can easily integrate it into SE. But I see no reason to do this. It is impossible to simulate all SE universe, so this feature may be implemented only as a "sandbox" with SE planetary renderer and skybox. BTW, SE does not supports realistic rendering of collisions of a celestial bodies, and I see no programs that can do that. But with fluid simulation...

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » A partnership with Universe Sandbox
Page 1 of 11