RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Best Resources for Exploration?
Best Resources for Exploration?
MistroDate: Thursday, 07.02.2013, 23:00 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Are there any useful links shared that aid in exploring this huge universe? When I first bought Flight Simulator, I made a plan to travel the entire world where my last stop on that tour would be back at my home airport. Easy as I already had destinations in mind to visit and planned my tour accordingly. When launching this program, I find myself staring at the countless stars and just clicking on random systems and seeing what's there. I would like to have a more structured experience starting with the known systems closer to our solar system but don't know where to start. I am new to space exploration and I am in the process of learning all the terminology and science. I always loved astronomy but until recently didn't know programs like this existed (this will take my watching of Discovery channel to a new level).

So how do most of you astronauts go about exploring this SE universe? Do you use charts or find data bases? When I here news like the discovery of a carbon based planet likely made partially of diamonds, can I actually go to these discoveries provided they are charted in SE and what is the best way to find them?

Thanks in advance.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 07.02.2013, 23:07 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Randomly clicking stars or hearing about an exoplanet and then seeing if it is in SE and checking it out. Sometimes I fly ships there and see how long it would take at conventional speeds and FTL speeds.

Quote (Mistro)
can I actually go to these discoveries provided they are charted in SE and what is the best way to find them?

Yep you can visit any world that is cataloged and added to the program. You can also add new exoplanets to SE by modifying the catalog files, there are tutorials on how to make custom planets/stars.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Saturday, 09.02.2013, 21:46

Joey_PenguinDate: Thursday, 07.02.2013, 23:34 | Message # 3
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
I fly my ship manually in free mode.

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

TimDate: Friday, 08.02.2013, 18:06 | Message # 4
Explorer
Group: Users
Belgium
You can always open the map with 'f1' or just 'm'. This will allow you to find the closest systems to the system you centered. Even the (nearly) invisible ones, like black holes and brown dwarves.

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Best Resources for Exploration?
Page 1 of 11
Search: