Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 14 of 18«1212131415161718»
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » General SE questions (Post your question regarding SpaceEngine here)
General SE questions
lanceo90Date: Saturday, 11.05.2013, 04:03 | Message # 196
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
So I'm new to this game and its awesome. After doing some exploring I'm wanting to try to start making my own planetary systems.

I'm understanding most of the editor but some options I don't see. Is there a way to delete planets or demote objects from planets to dwarf planets?

PlanetExplorer12Date: Saturday, 11.05.2013, 05:38 | Message # 197
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
I keep trying to get in orbit with the "game" mode that has gravity, I use the 1st cosmic velocity, but i keep orbiting a few times and then being flung away from the planet. How do i get into a stable orbit around the planet?

Jupiter is Awesome!

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 11.05.2013, 11:56 | Message # 198
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote (PlanetExplorer12)
I keep trying to get in orbit with the "game" mode that has gravity, I use the 1st cosmic velocity, but i keep orbiting a few times and then being flung away from the planet. How do i get into a stable orbit around the planet?

You can't. Orbital mechanics in SE is not even at alpha stage, it just some test.

neutronium76Date: Monday, 13.05.2013, 18:17 | Message # 199
World Builder
Greece
Is there a way to reduce the maximum height above sea level/surface of procedural cloud layers? The reason is that the last cloud layer looks like floating in space in atmospheres with low density:

I know that there is a line in main.cfg in config folder where you can reduce the number of procedural cloud layers but I want to use that as a last resort smile

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

spacerDate: Wednesday, 15.05.2013, 09:32 | Message # 200
Star Engineer
Israel
I can add information about planet?

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

DisasterpieceDate: Monday, 20.05.2013, 23:04 | Message # 201
World Builder
United States
This might not be the right place, but is there a free software I can use to turn the screenshots SE produces into a video (its for a school project).

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 20.05.2013, 23:06 | Message # 202
Cosmic Curator
United States
Disasterpiece, there's a thread about this: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/10-389-1

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Fireinthehole-Date: Saturday, 01.06.2013, 00:10 | Message # 203
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
How many stars does each galaxy have? For example, according to astronomers, the Milky Way has between 100 and 400 billion stars, but what is SE's number of stars in Milky Way?

Love Space Engine!

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 01.06.2013, 00:37 | Message # 204
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Fireinthehole)
How many stars does each galaxy have?

Depends on the galaxy

Quote (Fireinthehole)
what is SE's number of stars in Milky Way?

That's not the best representation, since SE's Milky Way's main disk is wider than it should be in order to make the texture work right (SE should ideally implement some sort of compensation parameter for this in the model's script, but this doesn't exist yet) so the Milky Way in SE has more stars than its real-life counterpart probably does.

My SE mods and addons

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 01.06.2013, 11:51 | Message # 205
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Using Star browser I found that density of stars is few times greater than in reality. I will fix it eventually.
Anyway, there is no precise answer on your question. Galaxy in SE is not being generated completely, engine generates only stars near the camera (taking into account their luminosity), so it is impossible to simply count the stars. Wiki for a galaxy shows a approximate number of stars, but it may greatly differ from a real number.

Crashman1390Date: Saturday, 01.06.2013, 19:18 | Message # 206
Explorer
Canada
Why aren't there any red Supergiants or blue Giants/Supergiants in procedural parts of galaxies.

[b]I was wrong, this forum still has a horrible community.[/b]

neutronium76Date: Saturday, 01.06.2013, 19:39 | Message # 207
World Builder
Greece
Quote (PlanetExplorer12)
keep trying to get in orbit with the "game" mode that has gravity, I use the 1st cosmic velocity, but i keep orbiting a few times and then being flung away from the planet. How do i get into a stable orbit around the planet?

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
You can't

Actually you can! Here is how I do it: (I asume you know the significance of 1st and 2nd cosmic velocity wink )
1st place your spacecraft close to your desired planet / star but not close to a black hole / neutron star because the gravity will catapult you away (you can not get sucked in by a black hole in SE yet biggrin ).
2nd Accelerate in parallel to the surface up to 1st cosmic velocity so that the horizon of the planet is barely visible at your screen edge. This is for FOV 20 degrees. For higher FOVs the horizon must be visible. For lower FOVs, it must not be visible.
3rd. If you haven't done already press ''P'' (selevt reference object) and then press ''F2'' (Planetary System Browser) and select your planet that you are trying to orbit. This will set SE to draw the spacecraft's orbit in relation to the planet.
4th. Press ''F1'' (Universe MAp). Make sure you are at max zoom. Now pan the view with the mouse so that you are looking at your orbital plane from directly above i.e. perpendicular to it. You orbit will probably be an elipse at this point. You need to adjust the periapsis and apoapsis (I assume you know what they mean wink )
5th. Adjust periapsis and apoapsis so that the shape of the orbit becomes circular. DO NOT use time acceleration as it will destabilise your orbit.
6th. DO NOT switch to control another ship. This will destabilise your orbit.
7th. If you want to quit SE and want to restart it at a later time, here is a trick so that your orbit is not destroyed:
When you have achieved your desired orbit, press ''1'' (Free Mode), then pan the camera away from the planet and the ship (just for sure it doesn;t need to reload many textures and meshes at restart wink ). Then press spacebar to pause time. Then press esc. Now when you restart the sim will be paused. Press spacebar to resume and '4'to retake control of your spacecraft.

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

DisasterpieceDate: Saturday, 01.06.2013, 21:51 | Message # 208
World Builder
United States
Quote (neutronium76)
Actually you can!

I think he meant that it can be done, but will not stay stable for long.

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 01.06.2013, 23:10 | Message # 209
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (neutronium76)
Accelerate in parallel to the surface up to 1st cosmic velocity so that the horizon of the planet is barely visible at your screen edge.

This is not a good rule to go by. Only at a very specific altitude above each planet will this align you parallel to the surface (and a very low altitude at that). A better way is to build up your velocity and then adjust your velocity vector until your prograde and retrograde markers are equally far from the planet.

My SE mods and addons

spacerDate: Tuesday, 04.06.2013, 18:07 | Message # 210
Star Engineer
Israel
I can add information to a planet like this?
http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/21-881-2

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

Edited by spacer - Tuesday, 04.06.2013, 18:09

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » General SE questions (Post your question regarding SpaceEngine here)
Page 14 of 18«1212131415161718»
Search: