RUS New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 10 of 18«12891011121718»
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » General SE questions (Post your question regarding SpaceEngine here)
General SE questions
HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 02.05.2013, 13:35 | Message # 136
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (apenpaap)
Is it still possible to increase your distance from a spaceship you're piloting?

Hold down both mouse buttons and move the mouse in and out to move closer and farther (this replaces the old shift-mousewheel command). If you've ever played Homeworld then this method of moving the camera in and out should be familiar smile The only downside is that when you release the buttons, if you release the right button last then the context menu might appear, and if you release the left button last then there's a chance you could rotate the camera (so best to release the right button last since the context menu can easily be closed).

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 02.05.2013, 22:07 | Message # 137
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Added these two in the buglist (ignoring of the FOV then choosing default ship position and problems with releasing left+right click) smile

VinnyDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 03:31 | Message # 138
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
Hi, guys!

I don't know if this has been asked before, does everything in space engine like comets, planets, ect. move around in space in space engine? Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

Edited by Vinny - Friday, 03.05.2013, 03:32

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 05:01 | Message # 139
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
I have a question regarding the density of the atmospheres of procedural planets -- how is it calculated?

I started thinking about this when I came across a desert planet with 363 atmospheres of pressure, and in the info/wiki box (select the planet and press "I"), the air density was listed at 28g/cm3. That's really dense, even more so than solid gold! Granted it's under enormous pressure, but still, it struck me as odd.

After checking out multiple planets this seems to be a common theme, with air densities typically being higher than their solar-system counterparts. I made a small plot of log(pressure) and log(density) for solar system bodies and some procedural planets to visualize. Air density is in red, pressure is in blue, and solar system planets (Earth, Mars, Venus, Titan) are the cluster of four on the left, and the procedural planets are on the right.

Solar system bodies consistently have air density 2 to 3 orders of magnitude less than the surface pressure, but this does not appear to hold true for the procedural ones.

midtskogenDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 07:39 | Message # 140
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (Watsisname)
the air density was listed at 28g/cm3

If the air density is that high, what's the overall density of the whole planet?

Let's say that a rocky planet like that could form, what would happen if it had a volcanic eruption - molten lava would bubble up into the air and form rock floes drifting around the planet in the upper atmosphere? smile

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Friday, 03.05.2013, 07:41

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 08:22 | Message # 141
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Good question. The planet density is 11.5g/cm3, or twice that of Earth's. So yeah... if these were real numbers then rocks would float at some height above the ground where the densities balanced. Even lead would float. wat wacko

The planet is
RS 0-9-88682100-108-2-9-90502765-27 3.1
by the way; it's a hot desert super-earth with ~6.7 earth masses and ~3 times the surface gravity.

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 08:53 | Message # 142
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Don't expect precise calculation of air density, as long as chemical composition of the atmosphere did not modeled. If I remember correctly, density calculated from pressure as simple formula, so it must produce incorrect result. For real planets you may specify any density and any pressure in the script.

midtskogenDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 09:55 | Message # 143
Star Engineer
Norway
A quick fix to the formula could be to add the planet density as a parameter, so that air density can only approach planet density. E.g. Dair' = Dair × Dplanet / (Dair + Dplanet)

May still lead to odd values, but should at least eliminate absurd values. In this case the air density would become 8.2 g/cm³. Iron would still float, though.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Friday, 03.05.2013, 09:59

apenpaapDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 15:32 | Message # 144
World Builder
Antarctica
Why does SE's Earth have a molten North Pole?

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 15:44 | Message # 145
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (apenpaap)
Why does SE's Earth have a molten North Pole?

If you mean having water as opposed to ice, then it's because the Earth texture doesn't show sea ice, only land ice.

My SE mods and addons

apenpaapDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 16:31 | Message # 146
World Builder
Antarctica
I see. So why does it not show sea ice?

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 16:34 | Message # 147
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (apenpaap)
So why does it not show sea ice?

You'll have to ask NASA.

My SE mods and addons

midtskogenDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 16:37 | Message # 148
Star Engineer
Norway
Perhaps James Hansen made it. tongue

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

smjjamesDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 17:51 | Message # 149
World Builder
United States
I'm probably mixing up what Dan Dixon said with what Space Engineer might have said, but didn't Space Engineer say something about putting in the ability to choose the measurement (Kelvin, Celsius, Fahrenheit) that that we want to display?

Although given the range of temperatures, using Kelvin is probably more elegant or something.

NyxKordelDate: Friday, 03.05.2013, 17:59 | Message # 150
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Forgive me if this has been asked. I have tried to search for a topic that covers my question, but have had no luck. How do you edit the "info" of a planet you name in the Wiki? The block will not let me select it.

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » General SE questions (Post your question regarding SpaceEngine here)
Page 10 of 18«12891011121718»
Search: