Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Planet map generation Question. (How are the maps generated exactly?)
Planet map generation Question.
Jakman217Date: Wednesday, 07.11.2012, 07:12 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
I've been having fun looking around universe, but I've been wondering, how are the planet maps generated exactly?

I'm kind of guessing that it's probably a perlin Noise system, but I don't know. I'm curious as I've been trying to find a good way of creating spherical maps for a while now, and without creating a 'seam' somewhere it doesn't seem easy.

So, what is the generation method of the planets. Is it a noise function, a fractical system, or some personal concoction?

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 07.11.2012, 08:56 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
You're right, it is 3D noise fractals, based on Perlin noise and Worley noise. Using 3D functions allows to avoid seams and squeezing of textures at the poles.

Jakman217Date: Wednesday, 07.11.2012, 15:09 | Message # 3
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Really, thank you. I need to look into this a little more. I couldn't find anything particularly like that when I searched. It sounds interesting.

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Planet map generation Question. (How are the maps generated exactly?)
Page 1 of 11
Search: