[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 9 of 13«1278910111213»
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Oculus Rift
Oculus Rift
IgorvachDate: Thursday, 12.06.2014, 10:27 | Message # 121
Observer
Group: Newbies
Turkey
That could be cool - lean to start falling through space in that direction... might be a bit weird, though.

Space Engineer, ignore my previous suggestion - get the Rift dev kit now, and if you need an updated one, we'll donate towards that too!

vrati, врати за мазета

AniGochDate: Monday, 16.06.2014, 15:25 | Message # 122
Observer
Romania
As for the story you linked, that situation is different in every way than this one. He was (allegedly) selling technology with direct military application directly to people affiliated with the Russian government, forging documents, and attempting to cover up what he'd done. The technology he was selling was also "highly controlled" for export by the USA. Rift technology is not, otherwise it would not to be available for sale to almost every country in the world, and it would be the USA, not Russia, attempting to stop shipments of it.

Added (16.06.2014, 14:25)
---------------------------------------------
Hey guys, I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but I certainly believe that this should get Oculus Rift support ASAP. I've tested one myself, and have actually ordered a development kit on its way now
While yes the graphics on it aren't exactly the greatest, what really is its high-ground is giving you the sense of scale of an environment; things feel physically present with you, and to their proper size. Minecraft blocks actually look 1 metre large, for example. Therefore, seeing planets in actual size would be, in one word, incredible

блиндирани врати, монтаж врати

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 16.06.2014, 18:09 | Message # 123
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote AniGoch ()
I certainly believe that this should get Oculus Rift support ASAP

It's already been implemented, and will be in the next release.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

chromatic9Date: Tuesday, 26.08.2014, 01:11 | Message # 124
Explorer
Group: Users
United Kingdom
I've got the Oculus Rift DK2. Hope SE has supported it too but when is the next update due?

Some failings of other games/demos is they auto mirror the screen so you render the game twice ie on your monitor and the rift and you lose half the frame rate. SE needs to render straight to the rift only, please don't mirror to the desktop and cut frame rate in half. 75fps is critical on DK2.

Sadly the DK2 for me flawed by the resolution. I feel it needs to be a 4k screen or a big change to optics and something like 1440p might make it worthwhile. Right now the screen door is very apparent. objects that are not very close by don't have enough pixels in one area to be resolved. depth falls off pretty quickly when objects quickly become made up of a small amount of pixels. When an object is close by you overlook pixels and gaps as the object is discernible

SE's brilliant graphics will only be partially resolved.

i7 930 3.8GHz, GTX 970, 6GB DDR3
flickr

Edited by chromatic9 - Tuesday, 26.08.2014, 01:11

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 26.08.2014, 04:51 | Message # 125
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote chromatic9 ()
I've got the Oculus Rift DK2. Hope SE has supported it too but when is the next update due?

I see those rhymes

Quote chromatic9 ()
Sadly the DK2 for me flawed by the resolution. I feel it needs to be a 4k screen or a big change to optics and something like 1440p might make it worthwhile.

Indeed, SpaceEngineer has expressed a similar opinion as well. Hopefully we'll see something like that in a few years. At least DK2 is an improvement over DK1.

My SE mods and addons

FaceDeerDate: Tuesday, 26.08.2014, 05:13 | Message # 126
Space Pilot
Canada
Step by step, after all.

My hope is that games like Space Engine will help drive that sort of evolution. Get lots of people out there with DK2s looking at awesome alien vistas and saying "wow, can you imagine what this would be like if the resolution were even higher...?" smile

chromatic9Date: Tuesday, 26.08.2014, 12:03 | Message # 127
Explorer
United Kingdom
Oculus is on the right track though. Also the motion tracking is superb.

The 3D effect is very good and true, not like pseudo 3D. For example in a cockpit and a few meters beyond you have a real sense of being in a 3D space. Things close by have enough pixels to resolve the objects enough and your brain is overlooking the pixels and gaps. A little further out its just a small amount of pixels to resolve things. You then start seeing the screen more as nothing ahead is really resolved.

Stars, star glow, landscapes, gas clouds, shades of colour are really important but simply the resolution is not there to help build distance or depth or to show a bunch of stars. I wouldn't even say its half way there.

Scale and cockpits and close by objects its a great novelty. Nice to look at large planets or tall buildings but even then there's much limitation on close objects like surface textures.

DK2 is equally impressive and flawed.

Quote FaceDeer ()
Step by step, after all. My hope is that games like Space Engine will help drive that sort of evolution. Get lots of people out there with DK2s looking at awesome alien vistas and saying "wow, can you imagine what this would be like if the resolution were even higher...?"

Yes I think so. Star Citizen is another game that's very good looking.

Quote HarbingerDawn ()
I see those rhymes

Indeed, SpaceEngineer has expressed a similar opinion as well. Hopefully we'll see something like that in a few years. At least DK2 is an improvement over DK1.

smile

I watched an interview with Chris Roberts yesterday, he says the resolution is too low. I can really understand as beautiful backdrops are put through the shredder in DK2.

i7 930 3.8GHz, GTX 970, 6GB DDR3
flickr

Edited by chromatic9 - Tuesday, 26.08.2014, 12:29

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 20.11.2014, 20:57 | Message # 128
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
20 minutes in Oculus Rift:

momaxDate: Thursday, 20.11.2014, 22:17 | Message # 129
Space Tourist
France
Waow. I am speechless...

Many new graphical improvements as far as i can see.

How does stereoscopy feel in your software? Do you get nausea?
It does look great.

Great job SpaceEngineer smile

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 20.11.2014, 22:36 | Message # 130
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
That is so beautiful. Love the volcanoes and the intergalactic flight. smile

SouthernOracleDate: Monday, 01.12.2014, 18:38 | Message # 131
Observer
United States
Using a DK2 kit with that video was mildly disappointing since it was at uploaded at a maximum resolution of 720p. Everything was really blurry (I couldn't even read the text with the kit). Any way you could upload a 1080p video to show the true capabilities of the Oculus Rift? I've been eagerly anticipating the release of 0.9.7.2 ever since you announced the Rift compatibility.

The DK2 also has some pretty bad problems with chromatic aberration. The colors aren't aligned properly so stars have color fringing around them. I know that's nothing that you can fix, but hopefully they can fix that in the commercial release.

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 01.12.2014, 18:49 | Message # 132
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote SouthernOracle ()
Any way you could upload a 1080p video to show the true capabilities of the Oculus Rift?

He recorded that video with DK1, which is the only thing he has. I guess it would be possible to record in higher res, but I doubt it's worthwhile to record another 20 minute vid instead of working on getting it released.

My SE mods and addons

SouthernOracleDate: Monday, 01.12.2014, 19:13 | Message # 133
Observer
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
He recorded that video with DK1, which is the only thing he has. I guess it would be possible to record in higher res, but I doubt it's worthwhile to record another 20 minute vid instead of working on getting it released.

That makes more sense now. I completely agree with you about working on the release instead of videos. biggrin

I will continue waiting for the actual release then. It looks incredible even without 3D so I'll be happy regardless!

anakaa4Date: Sunday, 28.12.2014, 11:32 | Message # 134
Observer
Pirate
First thing I tried with the Oculus Rift is to see how black holes look like. I think they need a bit more work, or we have found some peculiar behaviour of 3D black holes biggrin

Edited by anakaa4 - Sunday, 28.12.2014, 11:33

rich_hard1Date: Sunday, 28.12.2014, 13:50 | Message # 135
Observer
United Kingdom
please fix the BSOD, program not responding errors when selecting oculus from the menu.

I7'4790K - Z87 - 2xR9'295x2 - 16GB2400MHz - 1500w - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - PC350SE - G19s - FiioE7 - Z906 - Omni5.1 - XenyX502usb - AT2050 - H105 - 4K/DK2/TrackIR/G27

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Oculus Rift
Page 9 of 13«1278910111213»
Search: