[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 4 of 13«1234561213»
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Oculus Rift
Oculus Rift
SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 20.10.2013, 19:15 | Message # 46
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Destructor1701, thank you and all who make donate)) Only $20 left)

ogggrezDate: Sunday, 20.10.2013, 20:28 | Message # 47
Astronaut
Group: Users
Sweden
I'm definitely going to donate towards this! biggrin And I guess I'm going to have to get a Rift as well, I don't want to miss out on this! :P

UniversalAwarenessDate: Sunday, 20.10.2013, 20:40 | Message # 48
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Congrats on your new Oculus Rift!

I am donating $30.00 for one of the most eye opening pieces of software I have ever used, one that I would love to see on the Oculus Rift.

Space Engine already has so much in the way of wide-fov use that adding support for the Rift should be relatively easy. For an early experiment, you might be able to do it in a similar way that Skyrim can be done for the Rift in this tutorial here:
http://riftmod.com/how-to-skyrim-and-oculus-rift-with-a-fixed-hud/

But since the Rift uses a wide FOV, it will encounter some of the problems that Space Engine currently has with wide FOV, possibly including the lack of a star shine/lens flair (here is what happens in normal FOV, here is what happens in Fisheye). If you can fix some of these changes in the coming versions in fisheye mode as well as Oculus mode, I will pledge to donate another $50.00.

Thank you again for everything you're doing!

Destructor1701Date: Monday, 21.10.2013, 01:04 | Message # 49
Pioneer
Ireland
Hey SE, maybe hold off on buying your dev kit for a short while - John Carmack says there's a new version of the dev kit in the works.

Quote John Carmack
But we expect that the next developer kit will have higher resolution and position tracking addressing some of these significant issues.

...not that I can see position tracking being vital for Space Engine.

Edited by Destructor1701 - Monday, 21.10.2013, 01:06

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 21.10.2013, 01:28 | Message # 50
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote Destructor1701 ()
...not that I can see position tracking being vital for Space Engine.

Actually I think that's extremely important. The biggest immersion factor would come from your ability to look around naturally, and so you want the most precise, accurate, and low-latency tracking system possible.

Anyway, they're currently unable to ship to Russia due to red tape and other nonsense at customs, so I think it's safe to say that he'll do what you suggest and wait until the new one is available smile

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

momaxDate: Monday, 21.10.2013, 02:30 | Message # 51
Space Tourist
France
For those interested, here is where the news of a new devkit came from, with the full interview of Carmack

and there was a follow-up to that info, two days ago, from Oculus founder Palmer Luckey.

It is very difficult right now to know what will happen next year... There should be an official announcement by Oculus in 2014 to clarify the roadmap to the commercial version.

Regarding positional tracking, i would tend to agree with Destructor1701: it does not seem vital for SE in its current shape of planetarium software.
Position tracking does change a lot of things when you have something very close in the viewport, like a cockpit, but no cockpit in SE now means no need for positional tracking: there is no difference in the view when you translate a few centimeters while facing a massive celestial object (however it also depends on the perceived size of the avatar in the virtual environment, like in the XKCD cartoon)
By the way, i use Razer Hydra with the Oculus to get positional tracking on top of rotational tracking, and it works reasonably well with many demos (especially Titans of Space).
All right, enough looping, time to go to bed wink

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 21.10.2013, 02:38 | Message # 52
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote momax ()
Position tracking does change a lot of things when you have something very close in the viewport, like a cockpit, but no cockpit in SE now means no need for positional tracking: there is no difference in the view when you translate a few centimeters while facing a massive celestial object

That of course assumes that there is a 1:1 scale between the position change of the Rift and the position change of the camera. More likely there would be some non-1:1 scale. Either that or it could be disabled altogether, rendering it irrelevant. The latter option might be more practical. It will depend on what Vladimir discovers to work best when actually testing it.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Monday, 21.10.2013, 02:41

momaxDate: Monday, 21.10.2013, 08:33 | Message # 53
Space Tourist
France
Yes, maybe something roughly proportional to the speed factor, or to the distance from the nearest object, or an independent scale

Destructor1701Date: Thursday, 24.10.2013, 02:13 | Message # 54
Pioneer
Ireland
That could be cool - lean to start falling through space in that direction... might be a bit weird, though.

Space Engineer, ignore my previous suggestion - get the Rift dev kit now, and if you need an updated one, we'll donate towards that too!

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 24.10.2013, 10:44 | Message # 55
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
I can't get it now, because shipping to Russia is suspended.

RockoRocksDate: Thursday, 24.10.2013, 19:21 | Message # 56
World Builder
Belgium
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
I can't get it now, because shipping to Russia is suspended.

WHAT

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 24.10.2013, 22:48 | Message # 57
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
https://support.oculusvr.com/entries....hipping

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2512

Hello,
I have no doubt you have already received letters from Russia about this issue:
The customs office of St. Petersburg don't give out Oculus Rift to customers. 14 people and I can't recieve our devices.

The custom office requires the document with sign and stamp that prooves the fact that the imported device (Oculus Rift) does not contain encryption and cryptographic devices/parts, as well as any high-frequency and wireless communication systems and any type of navigation system. Can we recieved the scan (digital copy) of such document from your Company? Thank you in advance.

Destructor1701Date: Saturday, 26.10.2013, 01:10 | Message # 58
Pioneer
Ireland
Sigh! State paranoia ruining our buzz!

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 26.10.2013, 01:39 | Message # 59
Cosmic Curator
United States
"The Central Bureau of State Paranoia would apologize for this inconvenience, but is paranoid that such an apology would be construed as a sign of weakness and ineptitude by the people we're paranoid of. So, we do not apologize and as always urge fear, caution and vigilance!"

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Saturday, 26.10.2013, 01:40

AerospacefagDate: Saturday, 26.10.2013, 13:46 | Message # 60
Pioneer
Russian Federation
HarbingerDawn, I'd like to object: if THEY are really after you, does it still count as paranoia?

Edited by Aerospacefag - Saturday, 26.10.2013, 13:46

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Oculus Rift
Page 4 of 13«1234561213»
Search: