Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 41234»
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » An alarming drop in user activity (Where is everybody?)
An alarming drop in user activity
Antza2Date: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 19:34 | Message # 1
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Though there has been a large increase in member registration recently, most of the long-standing members of the community have stopped being active.
What happened to all the former active users?
Our long-time active users were pillars of this community, and were what made this forum such a great place to post. What kind of future will our community have if all of these people leave? How will newcomers and observers view our community?
I'm worried.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

Edited by Antza2 - Thursday, 06.09.2012, 19:51

smjjamesDate: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 19:44 | Message # 2
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Well, school has just started for many people, summer vaction is over, etc, so maybe that's it?

Sure there may be an increase of new people, but not neccesarily noobs.

Antza2Date: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 19:49 | Message # 3
World Builder
Finland
Quote (smjjames)
Well, school has just started for many people, summer vaction is over, etc, so maybe that's it?

I see. Where i live, schools started ages ago, so i hadn't considered that.

Edited by Antza2 - Thursday, 06.09.2012, 19:53

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 19:56 | Message # 4
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (smjjames)

Many of the forum's users are not in school. I have been on this forum for 10 months now, and it used to be much more active even during the height of school season. There has been a definite trend among established users towards less activity or complete dormancy in recent times. This forum used to be... richer, and more alive than it is now, at least in some ways.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Antza2Date: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 20:01 | Message # 5
World Builder
Finland
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Many of the forum's users are not in school. I have been on this forum for 10 months now, and it used to be much more active even during the height of school season. There has been a definite trend among established users towards less activity or complete dormancy in recent times. This forum used to be... richer, and more alive than it is now, at least in some ways.

Even the Infinity forums are more active, and they haven't made progress in a year!

smjjamesDate: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 20:28 | Message # 6
World Builder
United States
Quote (HarbingerDawn)

It was a guess, and yeah this place doesn't quite seem as active as it seems like it should be.

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 20:45 | Message # 7
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Here the site statistics:

You can see the huge peak - it is the 0.96 release. Afther it, number of visitors is slowly falling down back to previous mean value (or maybe a bit greater). Similar peaks can be seen after every release.

Attachments: 4799722.gif(9Kb)

apenpaapDate: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 20:53 | Message # 8
World Builder
Antarctica
Drop? Looks to me more like a huge increase in user activity lately; it's getting tough to read everything new nowadays, while there would often be only three or four threads with new posts a while back. As for me personally, I wasn't active for a while when I was on vacation.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 20:55 | Message # 9
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
I see it as SE being a very specific niche. Plenty of people like space and space engine but only a few actually stay with it. Space Engine has a lot of other games and simulators to compete with and the forums are aimed at the support of Space Engine primarily so it only seems reasonable that numbers of visitors would drop between releases.

Quote (apenpaap)
Looks to me more like a huge increase in user activity lately; it's getting tough to read everything new nowadays

I have to agree. Everyday I check the forums there are multiple posts in multiple sections.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Thursday, 06.09.2012, 20:57

Antza2Date: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 21:03 | Message # 10
World Builder
Finland
Quote (apenpaap)
Drop? Looks to me more like a huge increase in user activity lately; it's getting tough to read everything new nowadays, while there would often be only three or four threads with new posts a while back. As for me personally, I wasn't active for a while when I was on vacation.

It's weird. I have been feeling that the forums have been really quiet recently, and i have been around before 0.96.

TalismanDate: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 21:16 | Message # 11
Pioneer
United States
It feels like there's slightly more activity now then before 0.96, I've seen some new members posting that seem like they will continue posting here ever so often, but it's still no where near active enough. I can't believe there's not a ton more users always on here posting. cool

EDIT: Looks like you scared everyone online, there's quite a few people online right now.

Edited by Talisman - Thursday, 06.09.2012, 21:21

Joey_PenguinDate: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 21:16 | Message # 12
Pioneer
United States
Also keep in mind that we all live in different time zones, so while I typed this, some of the big names on this forum could be at work or asleep.

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

Antza2Date: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 21:23 | Message # 13
World Builder
Finland
Quote (Talisman)
EDIT: Looks like you scared everyone online, there's quite a few people online right now.

I was thinking that myself biggrin
Of course, when someone complains about the lack of activity, everyone suddenly log in tongue

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 21:36 | Message # 14
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (apenpaap)
Drop? Looks to me more like a huge increase in user activity lately; it's getting tough to read everything new nowadays, while there would often be only three or four threads with new posts a while back.
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
I have to agree. Everyday I check the forums there are multiple posts in multiple sections.

It's true that there is a good deal of activity on the forum, but the activity from the "veteran" users has seemed to decrease, and many of the old guard have fallen silent. It has been largely new users and a very small number of established users that have been posting. That was the primary concern, as mentioned in the OP.

Quote (Joey_Penguin)
Also keep in mind that we all live in different time zones, so while I typed this, some of the big names on this forum could be at work or asleep.

Yes, but that does not affect weekly trends, only things that happen on a scale of hours.

Quote (Antza2)
Of course, when someone complains about the lack of activity, everyone suddenly log in

Good wink I wish everyone would post more, the discussions make the forum such a wonderful place to be.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Thursday, 06.09.2012, 21:40

smjjamesDate: Thursday, 06.09.2012, 21:39 | Message # 15
World Builder
United States
Quote (Antza2)
Quote (Talisman)

I was thinking that myself biggrin
Of course, when someone complains about the lack of activity, everyone suddenly log in tongue

hehe smile

Yeah, I also noticed the sudden burst of people logging in soon after you posted.

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » An alarming drop in user activity (Where is everybody?)
Page 1 of 41234»
Search: