Русский New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 912389»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » Have I found earth 2.0? (I found a super promising planet, but is it safe??)
Have I found earth 2.0?
Is this earth 2.0?
1.Yes. This is the new earth. Everything is just right.[ 11 ][16.92%]
2.It is promising, but some factors could make this planet hostile.[ 42 ][64.62%]
3.Promising, but we can't stand outside for too long or we would die quickly.[ 4 ][6.15%]
4.Other lifeforms could live on this planet, but not humans.[ 5 ][7.69%]
5.Try again. I wouldn't want to live here.[ 3 ][4.62%]
Poll expiry date: Friday, 26.02.2027, 18:23
Answers total: 65
Tac1017Date: Sunday, 01.03.2015, 18:40 | Message # 1
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
I found this planet in space engine in the milky way, and it is strikingly like planet earth, or I think. I get quite quirky over this topic, and I start to go onto a research tangent to see how earth-like a planet truly is. So I decided to bring the topic to the Space Engine community. Tell me what you think, and give a reason to your answer.

Added (01.03.2015, 17:40)
---------------------------------------------
Please give a reason to why you chose your answer before putting a vote smile

The Terra Hunter of the Milky Way!

(By the way, I was born in 2001, NOT 1972 XD)

NolDate: Sunday, 01.03.2015, 19:01 | Message # 2
Space Pilot
Germany
It looks promising, but the Planet's age could be a Problem since Yellow Dwarfs only are Dwarfs for about 13 Billion Years. The Planet could be swallowed by the Star in a few Million Years!

If you ignore this, it is pretty similar to Earth. Nice find!

"Eins - Hier kommt die Sonne
Zwei - Hier kommt die Sonne
Drei - Sie ist der hellste Stern von allen
Vier - Hier kommt die Sonne"

-Rammstein, Sonne, Mutter, 2001

Edited by Nol - Sunday, 01.03.2015, 19:02

Tac1017Date: Sunday, 01.03.2015, 19:11 | Message # 3
Explorer
United States
Quote Nol ()
It looks promising, but the Planet's age could be a Problem since Yellow Dwarfs only are Dwarfs for about 13 Billion Years. The Planet could be swallowed by the Star in a few Million Years!

Well... this star has another billion years, but you have a point... back to hunting smile

IkeDate: Sunday, 01.03.2015, 19:16 | Message # 4
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Looks awesome.

Whats the RS code, also, how did you make that map?

NolDate: Sunday, 01.03.2015, 19:20 | Message # 5
Space Pilot
Germany
Tac1017, It looks promising, though.

IkeDate: Sunday, 01.03.2015, 19:33 | Message # 6
Observer
United States
Yes similarities are striking (I found the RS.)
Probably win contest.
Higher ESI than earth!

On thing tho, the density of the air is much less than nitrogen, oxygen, or water vapor--looks more like CO2 or Ammonia.

easterninfernoDate: Sunday, 01.03.2015, 19:36 | Message # 7
Space Tourist
Pirate
Planet looks beautifull...Nice find...

Still its the Yellow dwarfs age that is kinda concerning....

I find it interesting to think about the life on other planets...There can be a couple of scenarios,bad and good.
Here are the possible good and bad scenarios for Having a earth-like planet with life,some may find it better to colonize planets without life :).

Bad:

1)Lifeforms on planets with life could prove lethal and hostile to other humans.That wouldnt be such a problem because of human Intelligence.

2)The Planet could host some unknown type of disease or a parasite.The Movie Alien is the best example.

3)The flora on the planet could create a lethal type of athmosphere,lethal to Humans.

4)It could be a home of some Extra-Terrestrial race which could be very hostile to Humans.

Good:

1)The planet could be abundant with a new type of food and resource which means that the whole part of terraforming on planets without life is skiped.

2)It could host a friendly Alien race that would help humans.Possibly share technology with them.

3)There could be a lot of good things smile (Cant think of anything else sad )

Do you have the same felling of fear when the compositions of stars,planets,and life is "unknown"?I have that fear smile

When will our goverments forget about the borders,and start looking into the stars as a species?

Edited by easterninferno - Sunday, 01.03.2015, 19:48

KittenKillerDate: Monday, 02.03.2015, 01:03 | Message # 8
Observer
United States
The temperature is close to 20 degrees Celsius below that of Earth, but near the equator you could probably grow crops. I'd be fine with living there.

SpaceHopperDate: Monday, 02.03.2015, 01:21 | Message # 9
Explorer
United States
The cold temperatures could make it hard to live on.

3.14% of all seafarers are PIrates.
Got Mole Problems? Call Avogadro at 602-1023
Google Search my picture to discover whom it depicteth.

relox84Date: Monday, 02.03.2015, 10:18 | Message # 10
Space Tourist
France
What mainly disturbs me are the axial tilt of almost 45° (nearly twice that of Earth), the dangerously cold temperatures, and the fact that the atmosphere, despite aving a very similar pressure to Earth's, is about 3 times less dense, wich means humans couldnt extract enough oxygen tobreathe with their lungs and would need an oygen mask.

Tac1017Date: Monday, 02.03.2015, 18:35 | Message # 11
Explorer
United States
@relox

Wow... I actually look at atmosphere more than anything, and your feedback will make me look at the density as well.

Temperatures, its orbiting a g7v star, so all you would need are absurdly bulky clothes. oxygen masks would be mandatory, but i'm searching again for safer atmospheres.

NolDate: Monday, 02.03.2015, 18:38 | Message # 12
Space Pilot
Germany
Tac1017, It's kinda sad, though. If there wasn't the Atmosphere and Age Problem, the Planet would be perfect.

Tac1017Date: Monday, 02.03.2015, 19:12 | Message # 13
Explorer
United States
Quote Nol ()
Tac1017, It's kinda sad, though. If there wasn't the Atmosphere and Age Problem, the Planet would be perfect.

I strongly agree, but that's the fun of it all! Now I know more things I should look out for!

Thomas988Date: Monday, 02.03.2015, 20:20 | Message # 14
Space Pilot
United States
Wow! Nice job!

The only things I could see that would be dangerous to us is the 15-hour day and the 135 degree axial tilt. I could image landing and getting back into orbit pretty difficult. Plus people would have to learn how to deal with a lot less waking and sleeping hours.

All you need in life are space games and typhlosions.

WatsisnameDate: Monday, 02.03.2015, 22:23 | Message # 15
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Accurately determining your landing zone from afar might be more difficult, but getting back into orbit would be easy; even easier than for Earth. Rotation helps, assuming you launch prograde. smile Transferring to another planet in the system would be difficult (read: fuel expensive) again though.

I think the 45° axial tilt, somewhat cold average temperature, and low atmospheric density (as a proxy for composition) are my biggest concerns, but all in all this is one of the most hospitable looking planet's I've seen. It's an awesome find. Also I didn't even notice the system's age at first. That formed very early on in the universe! It probably does mean the star doesn't have much of its main sequence life left, but that's a problem over many millions of years. I imagine space-faring civilizations wouldn't be so tied to a single planet for the long term.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » Have I found earth 2.0? (I found a super promising planet, but is it safe??)
Page 1 of 912389»
Search: