happy

Attachments: 1909404.jpg(153Kb)

apenpaapDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 10:49 | Message # 3
World Builder
Group: Users
Antarctica
Someone called for a lava planet? tongue

Attachments: 1525481.jpg(191Kb)

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

Edited by apenpaap - Monday, 04.06.2012, 10:50

TalismanDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 19:16 | Message # 4
Pioneer
United States
Quote (apenpaap)
Someone called for a lava planet?

A gas giant made of lava, with lava rings. Excellent. cool

SolarisDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 19:46 | Message # 5
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
France
lol

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 20:07 | Message # 6
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
That is... exceptionally red.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

apenpaapDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 21:00 | Message # 7
World Builder
Antarctica
^The pic is an Ice World around a T9 brown dwarf. SpaceEngine always gives a planet a certain level of illumination, no matter how much it really recieves, so the extremely weak deep-red light of its tiny brown dwarf sun gets boosted enormously and makes this planet (and almost every other in the system) a very over-saturated red. At least, that's what I think is the cause of it. XD

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

Edited by apenpaap - Monday, 04.06.2012, 21:01

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 21:20 | Message # 8
Cosmic Curator
United States
I know what the cause is, but I still felt compelled to remark on how shockingly red it looks happy

A T9 dwarf? Wow, how did you ever find that? That's the smallest kind there is! (at least in SpaceEngine)

My SE mods and addons

apenpaapDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 22:03 | Message # 9
World Builder
Antarctica
There's two of them in this addon: en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-387-1 . Both are named WISE (long number here); so if you have that addon installed (which, from your posts in that thread, I'd guess you have) just search for 'WISE' and you can see them both. I found them by having a look in the data files of the add-on, and just had to take a look at them in SE after noticing their impressively low spectral class.

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 22:28 | Message # 10
Cosmic Curator
United States
Ah I figured it was probably catalog. I never visited all of the stars in that addon, I was mostly just interested in one system in particular (which was the one I was posting about).

It'd be incredible to find a procedural late T dwarf; it would likely be impossible unless it was part of a multiple-star system.

Anyway, fun screenshot smile

Interesting note, the real brown dwarf there would be invisible, just as it looks if you turn on "Real Sun Brightness" (it turns black). All of its energy would be emitted as long-wavelength radiation, mostly heat.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Monday, 04.06.2012, 22:34

apenpaapDate: Monday, 04.06.2012, 23:52 | Message # 11
World Builder
Antarctica
I think you might be able to find procedural Brown Dwarfs just by cruising around slowly and keeping a good eye out for any red stars which don't show up until you're really close, but you'd probably still find only L dwarfs this way, seeing as they're brighter... Though if the same bug that affects red dwarf sizes also hits procedural brown dwarfs, they should be quite big, which'll help in finding them.

And yeah, I noticed it's completely black... Except its atmosphere, which glows a deep red and so makes an eerie circle around the dark dwarf. It is quite a bizarre sight from the closest (dwarf) planets in the system.

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 05.06.2012, 01:03 | Message # 12
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (apenpaap)
I think you might be able to find procedural Brown Dwarfs just by cruising around slowly and keeping a good eye out for any red stars which don't show up until you're really close, but you'd probably still find only L dwarfs this way

I have found one or two L dwarfs this way. I wonder if the size distribution issue will be fixed in the next version, right now it just doesn't look right cruising around the galaxy with all these red streaks flying past you. Most of them shouldn't be visible. It's especially jarring when flying from Earth. Once you get a few parsecs away all these red dwarfs come swarming out of the darkness surprised

As I was typing this, I just went to visit one of them, and it had a T7 dwarf in the system, with an Oceania with Life around it biggrin I can't share the ID though since I'm using a custom model for the Milky Way, so the same systems aren't generated.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Tuesday, 05.06.2012, 01:03

apenpaapDate: Tuesday, 05.06.2012, 12:23 | Message # 13
World Builder
Antarctica
Yeah, it's a shame about that bug; it's just weird to see all these bright red dwarfs, or to be in a system where the red 'dwarf' sun is larger and heavier than Sol. But I don't remember seeing anything about it in the changelog, so I guess it'll wait until 0.97. sad

And that sounds really cool. A shame you can't share it.

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 05.06.2012, 13:34 | Message # 14
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (apenpaap)
And that sounds really cool. A shame you can't share it.

Yeah :/ I'm about to lose it myself too, since I'm about to change my galaxy model again; I never satisfactorily finished it when I was making it, so I'm working on making it better. When it's done I'll release it as an addon. It really makes the Milky Way look much better from outside, and will give it a more realistic structure.

I also started work on making the Mass Effect universe, but that's more of a long-term project. If I ever finish that I'll release it too.

My SE mods and addons

apenpaapDate: Tuesday, 05.06.2012, 13:54 | Message # 15
World Builder
Antarctica
Well, that sounds good, I've always thought the model of the Milky Way looked rather poor compared to most other spiral galaxies in SE. I'd be happy to get a better model of it in a future version or addon.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » I found a lava planet
Page 1 of 212»
Search: