[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » Cockpit Fun
Cockpit Fun
RobbieDate: Thursday, 04.08.2011, 11:06 | Message # 1
Pioneer
Group: Global Moderators
United Kingdom
Thought I would share a couple of pictures I've done of spaceship cockpits. They're only 2-dimensional, and I did this mainly for fun, trying to imagine what it would be like looking out of my spaceship windows as I arrived at some unexplored planet.

I don't know if there is any way to overlay our own 2D cockpits in SpaceEngine, but I would sure like to try a video with a cockpit view. No doubt SE will have 3D cockpits in the future.

edit: it's just occurred to me that the central column would have to move off-center, as it would obscure the reticle in screen centre, so 2 columns would be needed equa-spaced apart, or none at all

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit
Add Your PC Spec To Your Signature Or Post It Here

Edited by Robbie - Thursday, 04.08.2011, 12:46

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 04.08.2011, 16:07 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Real spaceships will not have windows smile Except maybe shuttles or special service craft. Better to think about huge panoramic display around the pilot's chair, or even virtual reality helmet. BTW, these type of "cockpit" (displays) may combined well with real multiple monitor set-up. Think about design of SpaceEngine interface for 2 or 3 monitor set-ups. What would it be like? It is possible to take into account real physical location, such as turning and size of each display, maybe adjusted in a config file or using some sort of 3D configuration wizard.

RobbieDate: Thursday, 04.08.2011, 17:07 | Message # 3
Pioneer
United Kingdom
I hadn't thought that far ahead really. I know you have your own ideas on what kind of display you want. This was just my feeble attempt at making one. smile I did this more for fun really.

I can imagine your planetary shuttles will have 3D cockpits anyway, mine's just a mere 2D idea, created for a single 22" widescreen monitor at 1920x1080. The picture sizes and resolution would not be suitable for larger multi-monitor set-ups, although the wider picture of the two above can be split in two for a dual monitor set-up, but resolution-wise it may not look so good.

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit
Add Your PC Spec To Your Signature Or Post It Here

VinnyDate: Sunday, 26.08.2012, 05:22 | Message # 4
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
Hi, Robbie!

You are doing a very good job on your cockpits for spaceengine! I can't wait until I try out the spacecraft with a cockpit in it! Please keep up the excellent work on your cockpits!

Cheers,
Vincent

SolarisDate: Monday, 10.09.2012, 04:12 | Message # 5
World Builder
France
Robbie, this rocks! Great images, a whole new feeling of looking at SE universe.. I never really thinked of a cockpit view until now, and it's awsome! Hopefully SE will give us some windows to look at through on some models in futures versions cool
Quote (Robbie)
I don't know if there is any way to overlay our own 2D cockpits in SpaceEngine
Please SpaceEngineer, tell us there is a way to do that, to overlay the Normal view/Fov with custom Images, it could be really great fun until real 3D cockpits.

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 10.09.2012, 09:26 | Message # 6
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote (Solaris)
Please SpaceEngineer, tell us there is a way to do that, to overlay the Normal view/Fov with custom Images, it could be really great fun until real 3D cockpits.

There is no way smile
But if you draw some cockpit textures, I may add it as additional feature.

SolarisDate: Thursday, 13.09.2012, 19:24 | Message # 7
World Builder
France
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
But if you draw some cockpit textures, I may add it as additional feature.

I haven't the skills for that, but I really hope somebody else will do it !

AerospacefagDate: Thursday, 13.09.2012, 20:13 | Message # 8
Pioneer
Group: Users
Russian Federation
The ship of the future does not need any real cockpit, it can percept the outside reality by it's own subsystems and easily operate all available information. It can even build a virtual reality completely corresponding with actual situation. However, it still needs a futuristic-looking GUI, I guess, some holographic-style floating buttons, icons and windows might be helpful.

Edited by Aerospacefag - Thursday, 13.09.2012, 20:14

Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » Cockpit Fun
Page 1 of 11
Search: